Tips And Wisdom

Hey guys I need a little help. Most of the Macks that I have seen have been restored and had most problems fixed or hidden. I need some tips and wisdom from you guys that have shoes older than me and/or have been around these trucks all your life. :thumb: What are some of the problem spots like the back of the cab for rust, broke springs, ways to tell if the front end is beat out from under them, etc? Also, what are some of the big ticket items as far as parts go that you find most unrestored trucks need? I'm just trying to get a feel for what’s what so I don’t get taken across some day.

Hey guys I need a little help. Most of the Macks that I have seen have been restored and had most problems fixed or hidden. I need some tips and wisdom from you guys that have shoes older than me and/or have been around these trucks all your life. :thumb: What are some of the problem spots like the back of the cab for rust, broke springs, ways to tell if the front end is beat out from under them, etc? Also, what are some of the big ticket items as far as parts go that you find most unrestored trucks need? I'm just trying to get a feel for what’s what so I don’t get taken across some day.

Jake, like any tractor you my bring home if something catches your eye and the price in your opinion is good you'll buy it then start looking really good at it after it's in your yard. Those old B's are pretty rugged but you can figure if it sat....brakes and seals, jack it up check your king pins and check rears and tranny oil levels and check for fines. I never restored one just bought and used them and never had any thing major with one other than hoses and brakes,Tim

Yup...I bought mine as a runner but sat alot. I've done maintenance/upgrades but basically just drive the wheels off it!

I had no real experience with this stuff either so was a learn-as-I-go too. The internet was a godsend! With places like this I picked up quick and had fun doing it.

I don't have facilities to do major work, but I did my own kingpins(really easy on a B), changed to 12v start, compressor rebuild, etc. If you purchase a truck that has been sitting in a field, plan on alot of tinkering to get it roadworthy and dependable. Find something that has been on the road recently to at least have a good starting point.

They all have their weakpoints, but a B model is a pretty stout piece and you won't wear it out anymore then it was when you bought it. Other than cab sheetmetal everything else is easy to replace/repair and available. I replaced rear spring bushings, brake chambers, air lines. Most can be done with basic hand tools don't cost too much in parts. The hardest part is getting a decent deal on the truck. Some price them as gold, but are junk. If you're lucky you'll find a nice truck at a decent price. That will give you some room to spend on it without mortgaging the house. Don't think you'll ever get all the money out of these trucks.....they are like boats(hole in water, surrounded by wood, into which one pours money! ). You just gotta love it to do it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hi JD, You got some good advice from these guys, maybe I can add a little. Old wiring and electrical components are always a problem so watch for a short that could burn your truck! Most components can be modernized and new wiring harnesses are available (that's next for mine). Another problem I experienced is the bell housing bolts (to the engine block) behind the flywheel loosening up and elongating the dowel holes in the bell. Happened to me (costly but worth it) and I heard it's common on diesel B's. I thought the starter was loose but the whole bell was wigglin' one way and the engine another. A lot of kingpins and tie rod ends are adjustable which could save you a few bucks. Wedge brakes are a pain but can be upgraded to "s" cam type. The good news is with a "B" you've got something really solid to work with. Good Luck!

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

On my B models I have noticed that the double frames may have rot or rust between them. The aluminum componets such as spring hangers and other suspention componets tend to crack if the truck was worked hard and over loaded often. the rear cab rust like you said along with the window frames and door weather strip aeras tend to be an rust issue sometimes. wireing issues like said above can be a hack job after 50 years of service. I would say as long as the running gear and frame rails are straight all other issues can be fixed fairly easy.

trent

My truck is an E series, aside from takeing a little over a year to find a water pump the wiring was the worst problem so far. ALL! the wires had been cut and spliced, some of the connections were just bare wire twisted togather, and I even found a few splices that were made with masking tape. Also who ever did the wiring had used 110V lamp cord in places!

Rust is my next problem, I live in GA and down here EVERYTHING rust or rots if left unprotected.

One other thing, check the manifolds really well, if it has even the smallest hairline crack chances are that if you ever have to remove it it will crack.

There are others here that know much more than me about the old Macks, the information I gave you is what I have learned by working on my first Mack.

I wanted to get into restoring tractors, (thats what everybody else around me has) I found my Mack by accident and it was given to me if I hauled it off. I have been a Mack fan ever since and now to me there are no other trucks. LOL!

I really like the looks of the E's but, my next Mack will be a B, there is a ton of reproduction stuff and used parts are still very easy to find.

DW

1948 Mack Pumper