2000 to 2003 interchangeability

JoeH

Question

@Joey Mack @fjh @Mackproand @ any other ETECH gurus.

So my driver did this about a week ago.

78148.thumb.jpeg.af612ffb0b22e73dc33ab2d510b22aba.jpeg78150.thumb.jpeg.0ee838af927059f54ed816a2e8a3acbe.jpeg

78159.thumb.jpeg.13f50217a033d5a3ca621140878d0577.jpeg

Fortunately no injuries. 

Moving on.

Mixer body is in surprisingly good shape, shouldn't be much trouble getting that part back up to snuff.

Cab took a beating. Insurance guy thinks the cab shoving back into the exhaust stand pipe tweaked the frame, he's claiming to see a couple "bumps" in the top flanges where the frame changes profile depth. I think the frame is fine, looks just how it did when we pulled the frame and sandblasted and painted it 2 years ago. Won't know for sure til we get a professional to look at it though.  Pretty sure insurance is going to separate the mixer and chassis and total the chassis. Which given that it's a 2003 with 27,000 hours and 435,000 miles, I get it.  But it did cost us a pretty penny to get this truck prepped for this mixer, far more than I suspect insurance will pay out.

Looking at a 2000 MR688 as either parts truck or replacement chassis.  The 2000 has a bad cam (I'm assuming rotated roller ate a lobe). 2000 is right side eecu, ETECH engine.

2003 is left side redesign eecu, ai350 engine.

What cross fit issues am I going to run into? Is there any difference in the chassis wiring harnesses that would hinder my ability to put the 2000 cab on the 2003?  This will be an ongoing thread for a while as we sort out this mess.  MR688S chassis on both of them I believe. Haven't seen the 2000 in person yet.

Turns out this donor MR was a municipal dump truck out of New York.  The frame rusted and a driver drove the raised dump body into a bridge overpass, so it's been sitting at Coopersburg Kenworth with about 14,000 miles on it since about 2014! Can wiring looks great, and with so few miles the transmission and engine are barely broken in!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Checked the oil pan for water today, had a little bit of accumulated condensation from sitting for nearly 10 years. Drained that out. Oil level is maybe a gallon high, might drain a bit out.  Coolant reservoir is good. Untangled some of the rats nest of harnesses, air lines, fuel lines etc that were coiled on top of the transmission. Dragged the battery cables out.

Before I gut this cab to make way for all the wiring etc from our 2003, we're gonna dip the fuel lines into a bucket of fuel, toss a couple batteries in and see if we can get this motor to fire up!  Just want to know it's a runner before we pull anything apart.

We did bar the engine over a couple turns and it was tight. Good compression, barely broken in.

KIMG1703.JPG

KIMG1704.JPG

KIMG1701.JPG

KIMG1702.JPG

Got the engine running today on a bucket of diesel and a couple spare batteries. Neutral safety switch on the trans had gotten unplugged some time in the past 10 years, other than that it fire right up!

And it's official, it has 14,090.741 miles on it. 3,887.550 engine hours, 3,105.5 of which are idle hours.   A lot less than my 2003 that has 28,000 hours on the tachometer.

KIMG1718.JPG