Mdrive clutch

So the M drive clutch replace can be done by most any mechanic! The problem is you need to know what to replace! Which is almost everything inside the bell housing including the flywheel YES  It will need to be calibrated ! The job is not cheap to do! and unfortunately  you would likely best off doing it at the dealer! Trying to cut corners by not replacing the clutch actuator is not a good idea ! This is one of those jobs you want done right from the get go!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I believe the flywheel can be turned but there are strict guidelines and bulletins to follow. The lineup shaft for installing the clutch is different than a regular clutch. As FJH said always replace the clutch actuator and the airline inside the bell housing while your there. We also replace the clutch air controller solinoid that’s on the outside of the bell housing as well. It’s a easy but expensive job. It’s by far the easiest clutch job to do compared to manual trans trucks . Most Mdrive clutch failures are due to issues with the actuator or controller. I’ve seen 700,000 mile on a original clutch before. 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of machining the flywheel on this setup, because it changes the range readings for the clutch actuator, and I Believe it will indicate a bad clutch engagement too soon, next time around..  I hope Mackpro can verify or correct my post.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mackpro said:

I believe the flywheel can be turned but there are strict guidelines and bulletins to follow. The lineup shaft for installing the clutch is different than a regular clutch. As FJH said always replace the clutch actuator and the airline inside the bell housing while your there. We also replace the clutch air controller solinoid that’s on the outside of the bell housing as well. It’s a easy but expensive job. It’s by far the easiest clutch job to do compared to manual trans trucks . Most Mdrive clutch failures are due to issues with the actuator or controller. I’ve seen 700,000 mile on a original clutch before. 

In my opinion don't shortcut the job! If you got good mileage out of the first clutch stick with all new stuff start over! If the trans is programed to start out in 4 th have it programed to start out in second or manually select it ! specially if your pulling any kind of weight! much to my dislike of auto. these trans are pretty tough and like anything they have a weak point or two! If the trans has a 2 speed reverse option resist the erg to shift it on the fly! It can shorten the life of the synchro in my observation ! I have been away for a year or so now and things may have changed some however ! Mackpro the man here still at it and has the best advice !  I am just a sidewalk superintendent  Now!

Just an opinion!

• Like 1