85 Mack t2090 clutch pilot bearing replacement?

Ryon Hess

Question

10 answers to this question

forgive me if I dont know, but isnt that pilot bearing the same one for an E-7?  I know its a dog dish flywheel, but,,, anyway..  I bet Allied Bearing can find it. Does it have a snap ring around it?  

If i recall correctly, I replaced a dog dish E-6 4V flywheel with a new E-7 flywheel, no need to be concerned with timing teeth due to it being full mechanical. then I was able to put an Eaton Easy pedal clutch in the R-Model,,   Now that I typed this,,  I Know I Did !!  you should consider it..  bigger clutch, with options, and parts are available..   Jojo

• Like 1

I've run organic 14" double disk (pot type flywheel, is that what your calling "dog dish"?) on my stuff, up to 170,000 lb loads, and never a problem.  Most all pilots are the same.  I never had a reason to go with 15.5" flywheel/clutches, and the 14's are easier to load.

Yes, GW.. we call them dog dish type. It pot type.. as far as going to a 15 1/2" clutch.  We offered the option, be you can get a 9 spring HD clutch, and machining the flywheel is easier to get done, than the pot type.  Plus guys around here don't know how to set up the dogs. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Years ago, when working on the British buses, I was looking for a clutch, They had weird single disk 17" or 17"+ something (17 3/4"?) that the lining was 11/16" thick. I remember we came on a Mack clutch that was similar in size but was a pull clutch and thinner lining. I don't remember what it was off of now. I just remember it wasn't going to work.  It was a weird clutch those buses used, once it wore to where there was no more adjustment, you changed the position on the release finger pivot and got another "life" out of it. IIRC there were three setting on the finger pivots. The flywheel had a replaceable wear surface, so if it got badly scored, you could just replace the wear surface like you would the center plate on multi disk clutches. Never understood why they went that way (big single disk) over smaller multi plate.

• Like 1

They were weird, that is for sure. I flew into Tulsa to build up a pressure plate and install a clutch in one, then drive it to Chicago. It was a bad idea from the start, and I told them so. The bus had been a "static display" in a field for years, I got the clutch in and fixed a bunch of other stuff, got it running OK, but after running it around Tulsa for a day or so, trying to shake the bugs out of it, I made it just out of the city limits before the rings seized in the piston and it started knocking real bad. You can't take an engine like that, that had been sitting and expect it to run fine. I flew back to Chicago and the bus came in on a hook. New piston and ring on one hole and it was fine.

Hey, thanks for chiming in. Turns out that my 306ffl can simply be replaced with the more available 306ssl (stainless steel locking btw) and if you don’t need the locking ring with your setup you can just remove it and use bearing without apparently 

• Like 1