Seen at the local museum

Truelove

They are a tough looking bit of gear

I dont believe any came to Australia, I know a of at least two that made it to NewZealand 

They used them in coal mines I seam to recall 

Hang on

I found a old post I did on these years ago on the Classic Machinery Network

http://www.classicmachinery.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1830&start=2480

Let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll copy and paste stuff if anyone is interested 

I have found more photos since of the NewZealand trucks that aren't in this article 

Paul

• Like 1

I have a Dart a few years older that that one ( I think) Mine has one piece side windows and more "trapezoidal" windshields, but the telling thing is DART is in script on the radiator. Mine is a "project" that never got started, and will never get done (by me).  When I get the barn cleared to the back where it sits (inside) I'll get some pictures and post them (don't hold your breath).

• Like 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Geoff Weeks said:

Ah, yes I know where that is. There is or was another (Dart) at Russell, Ks.  Mine came out of Pratt, KS.

Do you know what they were mining or using it for in Pratt? Thats right next door to me but I've never heard of or been around any mine in Pratt. Theres a salt mine in Hutch and a Quarry up by hays and that's about it. 

It came from Dan Wither's fathers closed yard  Closed in the early 60's I guess by what it held. The Withers own SW truck parts.  From what little I know about mine, it was a oil field rig truck (both the model and the use)  that was used in Ok and Ks oil patch.

Someone cut the big winch off the back (not removed, but cut!!) most everything in the closed yard had the rear ends missing, mine included. Also the 3 spd aux with power-tower was gone.  I've got a 4 spd aux for the truck.

I never should have got it, too big a project for me. There was a beautiful Diamond T truck I should have bought Still had the leather corner "pads" on the butterfly hood. (rears missing) but looked like it could have been driven out except for the missing rears.

The yard was closed in the early 60's and just sat until Pratt made them clear it, sadly I suspect most went into rail cars, and scrap.

• Like 1

It was hard to find, on the north side of the RR tracks, you had to snake through a neighborhood, and by an old elevator. Only reason I knew about is a guy on a train crew, took pictures and did a little research. One time when I was passing through I dropped my trailer and went bobtailing around trying to find it.  All I had to go on were the photo's. There were old stock trailers, a Cabover Mack (in sad shape) and a bunch of odds and ends.  I got there when I heard they were going to be cleared out. The train guy knew about it because he was going to have spot some gondola cars. This was back in the early 2000's.

6 hours ago, Geoff Weeks said:

It came from Dan Wither's fathers closed yard  Closed in the early 60's I guess by what it held. The Withers own SW truck parts.  From what little I know about mine, it was a oil field rig truck (both the model and the use)  that was used in Ok and Ks oil patch.

Someone cut the big winch off the back (not removed, but cut!!) most everything in the closed yard had the rear ends missing, mine included. Also the 3 spd aux with power-tower was gone.  I've got a 4 spd aux for the truck.

I never should have got it, too big a project for me. There was a beautiful Diamond T truck I should have bought Still had the leather corner "pads" on the butterfly hood. (rears missing) but looked like it could have been driven out except for the missing rears.

The yard was closed in the early 60's and just sat until Pratt made them clear it, sadly I suspect most went into rail cars, and scrap.

Let's see your Dart.

Very different to me, hard to understand how big these are or aren't with out something beside them to compare it to 

I get the impression these are bigger than a normal highway truck, but could have that completely wrong 

Paul 

1 hour ago, Bullheaded said:

Very cool! Thanks for posting the pics Truelove and Geoff.

Truelove.....did you get a pic of the truck behind that Dart? What was it?

Some off road hauler.

I'll go back to get more pics sometime, it's only about 1/2 hour away

On  mine, the dual rear windows in the cab slide down, something I had not seen on any other truck. Spring loaded up with a friction lock to hold open.

Can't believe the condition of the cab for a truck of this type. few if any dents and almost no rust.  The frame is another story, ,any welds and changes. Anyone wanting to make it into a driveable truck would be best to mount the sheetmetal on a newer frame.

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2023 at 12:43 PM, Geoff Weeks said:

I think you're correct. I went looking for it today and found a scrap yard around where I think it would have been. Found a cabover Freightliner in sad shape but that's it.

IMG_1A564226A74E-1.thumb.jpeg.c33609bd3cc3f6ae53433439d63b34f8.jpeg

You went north of US 54 on US 281 then cut east and south back toward the RR tracks. There was a grain elevator which may or may not have been in service and you headed east toward 61 until the street ended at the tracks, The yard was at the dead end.

There are a few yards Southwest truck parts had on both side of 61, but they are south/east of the tracks from Hutch.

Looking on Goggle maps:

Looks like it was at the east end of Pedigo Dr beyond "heavy metal recyling" If you zoom in on satellite view, you can still see some old semi trailers, there was a few old cattle trailers and I am trying to remember if there was a 50's car trailer as well.

It is beyond where the hardtop ended. Doesn't look like anything other than the trailers are left.