Extended Life Oils!

fjh

A WORD TO THE WISE This Is a picture is a spinner Filter from an AC 460 Engne

If any of you intend on useing extended life oils ie: pensoil shaffers ect be very atentive of this filter!

After 20000 miles the filter is plugged ,this guy was planing on a 50000 oil change interval .If any of you intend on extended intervals indend on changing this filter at least every 10 to 15 thou miles.

post-1344-1229443759_thumb.jpg

Just to save a couple $100 on oil.

So they can give you $14,000 for a new engine.

Like not brushing your teeth eventually it's going to fall apart.

Ok I did green to keep it in the season.

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Did that piss the owner off? What kind of damage, (if any) to the lower end of the engine? I've never thought an engine could go anywhere near 50,000 miles on conventional oil no matter what the "on board" filtration system may be.

Fresh oil at frequent intervals is relatively cheap insurance to me. Think I'll stick with once per year in my hobby trucks, and 10,000 miles with my work trucks. Oil samples concurr with my routines.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Did that piss the owner off? What kind of damage, (if any) to the lower end of the engine? I've never thought an engine could go anywhere near 50,000 miles on conventional oil no matter what the "on board" filtration system may be.

Fresh oil at frequent intervals is relatively cheap insurance to me. Think I'll stick with once per year in my hobby trucks, and 10,000 miles with my work trucks. Oil samples concurr with my routines.

Rob

50000 was his intended target with shaffers oil!Having said that ,the oil he was using to this point was esso 15/40 the sludge biuld up is mostly because this is an egr engine!He went 5000 over his normal interval of 15000 miles.Intends to run chevron 400 for a short period then swap over to Shaffers next month.We,ll see!I hope I have convinced him to stick to a proper servce interval!I opened his eyes a bit wider by cutting into this filter.Oils in an egr engine really soak up carbon!the evidence is in that filter.

That spiner is one of the best things Mack used since the inseption of the 4 valve e6!

Volvo should have takin a page from one of the many good mack ideas on this one!

They remove a whole lot of goo from the oil as you can see.

I use Shell Rotella or Bulldog brand. Change it every year as I rarely get 10,000 miles out of her each year. i figure that just the bugs dust and and moisture over a year is good reason to change it. Besides fresh oil in the old girl looks like sludge after 2000 miles anyways

Trent

Besides fresh oil in the old girl looks like sludge after 2000 miles anyways

It wouldn't be that bad If someone wasn't playing with the fuel screw :D

50000 was his intended target with shaffers oil!Having said that ,the oil he was using to this point was esso 15/40 the sludge biuld up is mostly because this is an egr engine!He went 5000 over his normal interval of 15000 miles.Intends to run chevron 400 for a short period then swap over to Shaffers next month.We,ll see!I hope I have convinced him to stick to a proper servce interval!I opened his eyes a bit wider by cutting into this filter.Oils in an egr engine really soak up carbon!the evidence is in that filter.

That spiner is one of the best things Mack used since the inseption of the 4 valve e6!

Volvo should have takin a page from one of the many good mack ideas on this one!

Yes, the centrimax is good thing but when I first saw it,I said

"What is this think going to do with two little holes in the bottom."

A WORD TO THE WISE This Is a picture is a spinner Filter from an AC 460 Engne

If any of you intend on useing extended life oils ie: pensoil shaffers ect be very atentive of this filter!

After 20000 miles the filter is plugged ,this guy was planing on a 50000 oil change interval .If any of you intend on extended intervals indend on changing this filter at least every 10 to 15 thou miles.

I change oil & filters every 20,000 in highway service. Out of curiosity I cut open my spinner awhile back and it was nowhere NEAR this point, though mine is not EGR. As far as extended drain intervals, I am not sold on the concept, but everything I've heard and read indicates FILTER changes at the standard intervals, as well as frequent oil sampling. Extended drain intervals are definitely NOT "set it and forget it" as this poor soul attempted to do.

One thing I've always liked about Mack engines is the superior filtration systems. The engineers seemed to have this one figured out. Leave it alone and go by the book on this one.