Slim and Joy

mrsmackpaul

For most of us Statesiders, Joy McKean was wife of Australia's best country singer, Slim Dusty. The pair cowrote many of Slim's greatest hits.. I believe she wrote "The Lights on the Hill" which Paul posted above. Slim Dusty recorded 104 albums during his lifetime which ended in 2003. If you search You Tube for Slim Dusty you can find about 500 of his works. Joy Has lasted another 20 years. Paul how old was she??

• Like 2

Brocky

She was 93 Brocky

To me they were very both very special people 

Slim and Joy lived a very different life I would imagine to any country singer from the States as Australia is very different as Brocky would know

A lot less people and a long way between these towns, as hours

Consequently the shows were tiny, but it was a life they both enjoyed 

I remember watching a interview done after they started singing about trucks and they were asked how they new writing about trucks and truck driving was going to be the next big thing

They must of been on tour and had no idea their album was even successful, long before the internet was even thought of and you still had to book calls across this wide brown land

To me they will always be special 

And who else could sign about been married to a Mack truck and have a song like it be successful 

Paul

I hope this works?? This link should take you to Waltzing Matilda, the unofficial Australian National Anthem. You must click on "Watch on You Tube" in the bottom left corner to get a listing of 88 Slim Dusty songs on the right side of the screen. If you click on the red arrow in the middle you only get this song. Some are videos, some are a slide show, and some just show the album cover. Sometimes I can search for a individual song and get a video that was not in another listing. Once in a while I get a message that this song is not available in our country, just go to the next song and then they all play.. Enjoy his music. The majority of his recordings sound a lot like Tom T Hall with a lot of Australian history and folklore.

Click on the bottom left bar of Paul's first post "Light on the Hill"  and go to the listing on the right. When you then select the song "We Have Done us Proud" It is an excellent video and the song also applies to the United States as well as Australia!!!

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 1

Brocky

Paul states: Slim and Joy lived a very different life I would imagine to any country singer from the States as Australia is very different as Brocky would know..

Paul, Actually in the post war years up thru the 80's the majority of the American Country and Western artists had busses which carried the artist and their band to bars/pubs, State and County fairs, and radio station sponsored events. They would just pull up unload, perform for a couple of hours, get back on the bus and head for their next stop.

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 1

Brocky

Thanks Brocky 

I have no idea what it was or is like in the States, never been there

I can only imagine that a country about the same size as Australia but with 10 - 12 times as many people must be a bit more crowded, as Brocky has been out here he would have a much better idea than me on this 

In this world I live in people are almost trying to make us ashamed of our heritage and make Australians and Australia like the rest of the political correct world, I  tend to dig my heals with this train of thought 

So Slim and Joy were very Australian and once Slim found his feet he was happy to do what he wanted and in Australia things really took off for him

He had a number on all major forms of music at the same time, yes number one with the young bucks and the old foggies and everything in between

"Pub With No Bear"

Anyway, enough waffle from me

Paul

• Like 2