Rattling when going over bumps

UP1

Hi,

2006 Granite dump truck CT 713, E7 460 with 18 speed Maxitorque.350 000 km on it!

When loaded going over bumps on highway I hear rattling noise. Its only happens when going around 95 km/h, slower speed its fine. All shocks ,airbags ,U Bolts ,leafsprings, exhaust etc are replaced. I did replace smaller driveshaft between axels, noticed yesterday there is a bit movement(when pushing up down) on the bigger slip driveshaft ,Could that be a problem or power divider?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

I did check those ,all the bolts what can I see are tight, dosent sound that kind of rattle, more likely when something is squeeze together or extended too much. It sounds like its doing it when exiting to bump, kind a jumps a pit. When empty its fine just when loaded!

Maybe spray paint some suspension components that move, I guess use the same color as the frame. Then go back and see if the paint is rubbed off down to shiny metal, that may point you to it.. 

I would expect a vibration in the driveline.  is it a dump truck?  do you have a teel tube under the body that has the stop cable in it?  maybe a weld broke and its rattling..  Lift axle shocks??  steerable lift axle tie rod?? or other parts of it? 

Yes its dump truck, dont have lift axle, just replaced all shocks! It has steel tube for stop cable, will check that tomorrow, thanks!  

Hi.

There is steel tube and it is loose from weld, but it aint it. Its more louder noise, kind a mix of grinding rattling. Anyway I took it to shop ,they sayd all the driveline is fine. I guess have to wait when something broke down. Would you know how much drive height have to be on, maybe something there! 

Doesn't sound like a piston,it only does it when going over pump. Yes the heat shield is loose, will but extra screw there, don't think thats doing it. It sounds like worn out bearing, can it be?

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2023 at 3:50 PM, Joey Mack said:

I would expect a vibration in the driveline.  is it a dump truck?  do you have a teel tube under the body that has the stop cable in it?  maybe a weld broke and its rattling..  Lift axle shocks??  steerable lift axle tie rod?? or other parts of it? 

JoJo what’s the stop cable for? I have it and one end is tied to the PTO on hydraulic pump and goes to rear of dump bed. 

6 hours ago, Ricky Beals said:

JoJo what’s the stop cable for? I have it and one end is tied to the PTO on hydraulic pump and goes to rear of dump bed. 

It’s to disconnect the pto at the height u have it adjusted for so u don’t blow the seals out of the piston..

• Like 1

I know the cable/tube you're talking about, but I would have assumed the system has a pressure relief valve for that...

My single axle dump truck has a piston with a built in bypass that when it fully extends it just diverts oil internally out a secondary hose.

Edited by JoeH

Yes sir,, But of course a skilled driver knows when to stop trying to raise the bed..  Used to be you could feel it when the cylinder is all the way up..  then you just move the lever to neutral..  Just sayin..  Hope you are having a good day...  jojo