Are Scoop Back B Cabs Worth More Than Regular B

Guest MACKAMOKE

Guest MACKAMOKE

I am looking to purchase my first b-model alot of times you see on ebay "rare" scoop back B

are they any more valuable? What is a good model to buy? Looking for a tractor.

Any schooling on B's would be helpful. I love my GMC but I would love to sink my teeth into a good ol' mack for restoration. :SMOKIE-LFT:

Thanks guys,

Mike Wallace

Guest MACKAMOKE

I'm a big GMC fan myself. What kind of GMC do you have?

Edit: Just read under your member number. It sounds like you have a 9500. Is it Detroit powered?

I have a 1973 9500 Brigadier 671-n 10 speed fuller, single screw it has over a mil. on it and runs like a top.

Thanks for your interest, any tips on that model? What kind of GMC do you have?

I am looking to purchase my first b-model alot of times you see on ebay "rare" scoop back B

are they any more valuable? What is a good model to buy? Looking for a tractor.

Any schooling on B's would be helpful. I love my GMC but I would love to sink my teeth into a good ol' mack for restoration. :SMOKIE-LFT:

Thanks guys,

Mike Wallace

I always hated them, but then again I'm 6'2" 280 pounds. If I was thinner I might be ok with them.

Joe

I have a 1973 9500 Brigadier 671-n 10 speed fuller, single screw it has over a mil. on it and runs like a top.

Thanks for your interest, any tips on that model? What kind of GMC do you have?

I used to drive a '71 GMC 9500 tandem with a 10-Speed RR. I loved the truck, but the company I drove for was too cheap to buy a diesel and it had a 637 V-8 gas. It was pretty much a dog. But I did get to drive a '70 9500 with a 6-71 and got to exprience what I should have had. The company also had a '62 GMC 6500 with a 478 V-6 gas. That was one tough truck. Only ones I have now are 1-Tons, but I use to own a '62 GMC 4000 with a 305 V-6 gas and '67 GMC 7500 with a 6V-53 Detroit.

I don't have a lot of experience with the "Scoop Back Cabs" and I wouldn't mind having one, but for my personal choice, I would prefer a regular style cab.

Guest MACKAMOKE

I always hated them, but then again I'm 6'2" 280 pounds. If I was thinner I might be ok with them.

Joe

I'm a big boy myself :lol: I guess I got my answer thanks to all

Mike

Mike,

I don't think you can place a monetary value on vintage trucks like you can vintage cars. The market is totally different. You have to consider what is valuable to you not to the next person. You will never get back what you put into a truck restoration. You have to do it for you, not value. By rights I should have kept the B61 wrecker that ran and got rid of the B61 tractor that I am restoring, but the tractor had more value to me as I, my dad and my father-in-law all drove the truck while it was part of the fleet. The wrecker only worked the yard, was not plated as long as I can remember.

Now, the B67 is "rare" compared to the B61 as there were many more 61's built than 67's. I don't have the numbers handy right now, but Barry or someone like Mike Harbison could tell you off the top of their heads!

I do know where there is a B67 cab/chassis for "best offer" about 30 miles from me right now. body is average, "ran when parked" and the frame needs a lot of help.

Terry

The "scoop" back was the contour cab. Not all B61's were flat backs and not all B67's were contours. The CA67 cab was an option on most B-models and the flat back was an option on the B67. There were several other model numbers that the contour cab was standard, such as B44 and B65 to name a couple. My B66 is a contour cab, yes it's tight in there, but there is also a big doghouse where the back three cylinders reside. The B61 with a contour cab is a bit roomier and the B67 with a flat back cab has plenty of room. Most B-cabs are tight inside if you start getting over the 6 foot range, but I'm only 5'7", so they all fit me just fine. Just my thoughts, but like all B's, rules change just as you think you figured them out. :wacko:

Guest MACKAMOKE

The "scoop" back was the contour cab. Not all B61's were flat backs and not all B67's were contours. The CA67 cab was an option on most B-models and the flat back was an option on the B67. There were several other model numbers that the contour cab was standard, such as B44 and B65 to name a couple. My B66 is a contour cab, yes it's tight in there, but there is also a big doghouse where the back three cylinders reside. The B61 with a contour cab is a bit roomier and the B67 with a flat back cab has plenty of room. Most B-cabs are tight inside if you start getting over the 6 foot range, but I'm only 5'7", so they all fit me just fine. Just my thoughts, but like all B's, rules change just as you think you figured them out. :wacko:

"contour cab" sounds much nicer I think they look neat. I probaly won't buy one though, one of those would look way cool with one of those round nose trailers from the 50's or 60's I remember my dad having one of those sitting in the truck yard for storage back in the 70's, it was about 28 feet with "Modern" aero inspired moldings, dolly's on the landing gear and Webb Wheels on it's single axle. A true American motrized peice of Architecture.

Mike