Mack electric problem

Zeuz

Hey ,I'm having trouble with my 2011 mack ,the turn signals won't work,radio,cb,and the dash lights don't turn on.but if I turn my headlights off the center of my dash lights light up..the control center with the amps,miles etc come on and off..the other day my batteries went dead I replaced them and put new alternator and everything worked fine ,but I'm having this problem...anyone know what can it be...my driver says all fuses are good.thanks

was the starter recently replaced? this seems like a bad ground and/or back feed issue.. have you checked the ground wire connections in the cab and on the firewall?  Those wires are gray..  

No the starter hasn't been replaced at all ..my driver just called and said he got no dash lights ,still no turn signal or radio no cruise control...but if he turns head lights off the rpm and speedo gauge lights up...the only thing done to that truck in the last 2 weeks is it wouldn't go over 55 and mechanic eliminated the protection mode on it couldn't find what was wrong or just being lazy...

No the starter hasn't been replaced at all ..my driver just called and said he got no dash lights ,still no turn signal or radio no cruise control...but if he turns head lights off the rpm and speedo gauge lights up...the only thing done to that truck in the last 2 weeks is it wouldn't go over 55 and mechanic eliminated the protection mode on it couldn't find what was wrong or just being lazy...

based on ole school, I agree with the bad ground JoJo. but that would be for the lights acting f--ked up . that wouldn't kill the batteries . 2011 is way tooo new for me to know the electrical system. batteries going dead would lead to relay/ module /open circuit with key off.  honestly I never knew of a "protection mode.  will defiantly be watching for a cure on this one for new day knowledge.

there is always a power draw, because of the on-board computers..  also, when I here of ANY kind of delete, on these P.O.S. Volvo-Macks...  I already need to walk away...  Too many of todays diesel guys, are You-Tube trained and think that every repair is some bigass major repair, and overlook the normal, use your hands type repairs, like checking ground wire connection quality...   The use of computers has a place in diag.  30 years now...   but good ole' LOOKING at it how you fix it..  and with all the electronics,,  grounds play a HUGE roll in smooth operation..  anyway,  just my crappy 2 cents worth...  and more reasons why I left the dealership to get away from these P.O.S. computers on wheels..   

• Like 1

you should have been around when alternators FIRST came in to use on big trucks from factory.  there was a major constant electrical draw.  new trucks at the dealer could stay on the front line for weeks , cold or warm weather  , turn key they would start right up:::: IF THEY HAD A GENERATOR.   alternator set up batteries were dead in few days. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

there is always a power draw, because of the on-board computers..  also, when I here of ANY kind of delete, on these P.O.S. Volvo-Macks...  I already need to walk away...  Too many of todays diesel guys, are You-Tube trained and think that every repair is some bigass major repair, and overlook the normal, use your hands type repairs, like checking ground wire connection quality...   The use of computers has a place in diag.  30 years now...   but good ole' LOOKING at it how you fix it..  and with all the electronics,,  grounds play a HUGE roll in smooth operation..  anyway,  just my crappy 2 cents worth...  and more reasons why I left the dealership to get away from these P.O.S. computers on wheels..   

on my 1/25th scale builds , the  computers are disconnected to save  battery power LOL

• Like 2

In defense of the tech dude we have all been there with this electrical shit you can spend alot of time chasing ghosts! If dumping the protection mode got the unit workable maybe he did him a favor! Duno! there are so many dam parameters in that programing stuff Its hard to know if something hadn't got corrupted! 

• Like 2