Electrical Problem and Starting Problem

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

on the fire wall, by the steering column, is a gray wire with 2 or more wires.  it has a triangular weatherpack plug on it...  are the contacts and wires in good condition?  that is the 1939 line under the hood..  it is part of the engine harness..  here is an example from the engine I currently have in my shop. 

KIMG1849.JPG

Thanks Joey. Those wires I connected to 2 new temporary wires to the ecu as a test. No difference.. So I put everything back like it was. I'm thinking to buy the nexio usb link 2 with the 6 pin cable. What I saw is that the v-mac software is free Version 2.9.2. Only problem would be to get the proper config files for my vin#?

did you check the voltages at the Diag. port under the dash?  there is a low side voltage and a high side voltage.. you should have a gray 6 pin port.. 

22 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I beleive you have an E-Tech engine...  6 EUP's  not a Robert Bosch inj. pump???

KIMG2013.JPG

KIMG2010.JPG

KIMG2011.JPG

KIMG2014.JPG

It's the 6 pin connector. E tech engine yes. e7-350. Everything was working until water came into the vecu. Replaced it with a used onne with same #'s. 

ok..  I remember you took the VECU apart and cleaned it..  This is a hard one to fix on here..  Have you added a ground wire from the EECU housing, under a mount bolt to a clean spot on the engine..  I have had to do that several times to create a needed ground..  I wish I was much smarter about ECU issues and backdoor repairs..  Sorry Bud.. Jojo

5 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

ok..  I remember you took the VECU apart and cleaned it..  This is a hard one to fix on here..  Have you added a ground wire from the EECU housing, under a mount bolt to a clean spot on the engine..  I have had to do that several times to create a needed ground..  I wish I was much smarter about ECU issues and backdoor repairs..  Sorry Bud.. Jojo

Will try an extra ground. Thanks. Will post when It works or if I find a solution.

• Like 1

Joey is correct, sounds like a J1939 high speed data link issue. The truck is running on the low speed data link J1587 so that’s why there is a delay between key off and actual engine shutdown. The J1939 wires are always twisted green and yellow wires. Sometimes it will have a third wire which is a shielding wire.  The used VECU should work even though it’s the wrong VIN. But will have to reset parameters such as , road speed limit, tire size , rear gear ratio and trans top gear ratio. The HP level is only in the engine ECM. I wish I had seen this post way earlier. All R-series trucks with ETECH engines had their VECU’s mounted with the connectors facing up. And a Joey said the windshields leak right into them. The first sign of any weird issues, this is the first place to check ( on a R-series). It would have been nice to get the VECU programed to match your truck . But if the Tech was not 100% confident then it’s probably best he didn’t. Programing VMAC 3 ECM’s is a multi step process and one wrong move and you turn the ECM into a paper weight. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 9:09 AM, Mackpro said:

Joey is correct, sounds like a J1939 high speed data link issue. The truck is running on the low speed data link J1587 so that’s why there is a delay between key off and actual engine shutdown. The J1939 wires are always twisted green and yellow wires. Sometimes it will have a third wire which is a shielding wire.  The used VECU should work even though it’s the wrong VIN. But will have to reset parameters such as , road speed limit, tire size , rear gear ratio and trans top gear ratio. The HP level is only in the engine ECM. I wish I had seen this post way earlier. All R-series trucks with ETECH engines had their VECU’s mounted with the connectors facing up. And a Joey said the windshields leak right into them. The first sign of any weird issues, this is the first place to check ( on a R-series). It would have been nice to get the VECU programed to match your truck . But if the Tech was not 100% confident then it’s probably best he didn’t. Programing VMAC 3 ECM’s is a multi step process and one wrong move and you turn the ECM into a paper weight. 

The wires are good. Meantime still stuck. Ordered nexiq usb link 2 but happened to be a none working clone. I'm out of options and will never go back to that mack so called dealer. What will be a good affordable device/scanner to use. I have the mack programming software.. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Rickvr said:

The wires are good. Meantime still stuck. Ordered nexiq usb link 2 but happened to be a none working clone. I'm out of options and will never go back to that mack so called dealer. What will be a good affordable device/scanner to use. I have the mack programming software.. Thanks.

Maybe there is something wrong with the used VECU I bought.... Pfff. If I only could try a different one. 

If your having the same issue with both VECU then probably a wiring issue.  If you have a ABS ecm next to the VECU, unplug the ABS ecm.  Find the yellow and green wires . Using a ohm meter and  with key in off position. You should have 60 ohms across the 2 wires. With the key on you should 2.5 or more volts on the yellow wire to ground. On the green wire you should have 2.5 volts or less. The green is the low side and the yellow is the high side . The more data that’s being transmitted the higher the high side voltage goes and the lower the low side goes. 

Edited by Mackpro
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 11:54 AM, Mackpro said:

If your having the same issue with both VECU then probably a wiring issue.  If you a a ABS ecm next to the VECU, unplug the ABS ecm.  Find the yellow and green wires . Using a ohm meter and  with in off position. You should have 60 ohms across the 2 wires. With the key on you should 2.5 or more volts on the yellow wire to ground. On the green wire you should have 2.5 volts or less. The green is the low side and the yellow is the high side . The more data that’s being transmitted the higher the high side voltage goes and the lower the low side goes. 

Thanks will try that!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 12:08 PM, Rickvr said:

Thanks will try that!

voltages and resistance are just like you said. im trying to find a vecu but no luck. meantime i use it like it is as i have to work. it has way less power which is shit. 

On 8/7/2023 at 7:30 PM, mowerman said:

havent been following since i really dont have suggestions  have to give hats off to your pail invention ingenious   just spotted it.dont throw the rest of it out,,,,,it may  double as a welding helmet...good luck bud...bob

Thanks😃 some progress finally. got the scantool and it works! the vin in the ecu is not from my truck but it's for a e7 350. now im looking for someone with access to the mack dealer portal to get the proper files to program the ecu and vcu to my vin#. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mackpro said:

The HP level determination is in the engine ECM. The rear gear ratio, tire size and various other parameters are stored in the VECU. I’ll do some looking on what you have 

Thanks! Meantime I disabled the limp mode by removing the mark on idle shutdown.... in V-macIII dealer programming. It runs awesome now :-) Except the error light is still on. I think and buy the M6 version of the vecu just to check. I can't see that there are many differences. And yes the vecu has nothing to do with HP etc.

I'm so happy it works so I can work. Love my truck. (again :-))

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2023 at 11:18 AM, Rickvr said:

On 8/18/2023 at 11:51 AM, Mackpro said:

If your original VECU was a 12MS48 M4  then a M5 or M6 will work. 

Finally I found a used VECU which is the M5. Yes it works however the 6-4 code is still there. Must be the wires even though I tested them. When I have time I will run new ones. If that doesn't work it must be the ecu maybe..? If that's the case I will leave it like it is.