B model dual fuel tank connections

Just wondering if anyone would know what the original configuration was on the tank cross-over hose with dual aluminum tanks? Was it a single hose from one tank to the other? Hard pipe in the center maybe, with a short hose on each side? Also, was there a single leveling hand valve on one side or the other?

One other question. How was the hose or pipe supported under the truck? Mine has some steel angle going across that's bolted to the bell housing.

Thanks in advance for any help

would new rules and regulations come in to effect todays world ?? . cross-over lines on bottom subject to road debris ,which is why modern day units have top draw. cross hose of days gone by were usually #8 or 10 aeroquipt hose clamped to a 1 1/2 angle iron secured to tank brackets  with shut offs on both side as 70 mack stated. I'd  run the cross line inside  a round pipe or tubing to protect it  from road debris and weathering. clamping method on tank brackets has to be HD yet allow for frame twist and turn. have seen many a clamp bracket broken with cross line holding support off the road. 

• Like 2

Some had that really swell set up where there was an angle iron attached to the spring caps and then the hose was anchored to that (at least for a little while)  No matter, each tank should have its own valve on it, and probably not a ball valve.   I don't remember any form of "leveling valve"  they sorta found their own level as long as you were on level ground (lol) Basically how ever you run a hose across it needs to be at the same height across from tank to tank (or very close to it) and your vents need to be functioning .

• Like 2

Darn do I appreciate this forum. woke up the brain cells  Mark T . now i remember the set up. 11/2 angle iron that went inside the gusset on the fuel tank brackets and had spring  keeping  cross bracket "tight" yet flexible for frame twist. spring went missing  the cross bar was bolted tight to tank brackets resulting in worn alum brackets or cracked cross brace leading to fuel line holding angle iron off road. cross line attached to spring caps was good since not as much flex in that area. 

22 minutes ago, Mark T said:

I don't remember any form of "leveling valve"  they sorta found their own level as long as you were on level ground (lol)

For a VERY VERY short time we parked 9 tractors on a slight side hill. Left tank was uphill to the right one. Fuel truck would come in and top ours trucks off in the early morning hours. First time we did it there was 100 feet of fuel spreading across the parking area when we got there!     .....Hippy  

Sergeant Schultz Quotes. QuotesGram

Yes, you can spill fuel..  Good one Hippy...  See,,, today knowone knows how gravity and syphoning works..  When I was a driver, we knew not to park on steep hills.  because if the tanks were filled the lower tank would spill fuel through the cap...  We Knew what to do..  Park On Level Ground...  Dahhhh.......

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

Darn do I appreciate this forum. woke up the brain cells  Mark T . now i remember the set up. 11/2 angle iron that went inside the gusset on the fuel tank brackets and had spring  keeping  cross bracket "tight" yet flexible for frame twist. spring went missing  the cross bar was bolted tight to tank brackets resulting in worn alum brackets or cracked cross brace leading to fuel line holding angle iron off road. cross line attached to spring caps was good since not as much flex in that area. 

They had the crossover attached to the caps at the rear of the front springs. (maybe this was only on the bigger ones ?)   Often the fuel line ended up holding the whole thing from dragging the ground.  Remember the springs didn't have a shackle, they had the rubber trapped under the caps at the rear.   I'm 56, so you can imagine any B or old R like that I had any involvement with had a few hours of service on it by then.  Then the CL in my avatar , that came with a nice neat angle nicely bent to attach to the tank brackets .  After it was about a year old that used to break the eyes off on a semi monthly basis too.....even with a much bigger piece of angle iron (lol)

• Like 1

the cross over fuel line  set up also depended on the fuel tank configuration and model truck. square/ rectangle tanks mounted higher had the crossover line going from rear spring hanger caps ( 4x5 in cap ??) attached to a 1 1/2x2  steel channel .  round tanks hung lower (most time) had the cross line tank to tank.  always an exception but think about it square tanks were on construction vehicle (off high way usage) , lower round found on highway vehicles. fuel in lower mounted tanks would have to travel on up hill to go on front spring hanger  set up.