CHN 613. EGR Mass flow-open code 5-9

Zeuz

I have a 2006 CHN 613 it won't go over 63 mph at 1600 rpm that's all it will do it has a 18 spped.... I took it to a mechanic he said it's reading 

Egr- mass flow-open ( flash code 5-9). Before he goes guessing and replacing parts ..i was wondering is anyone has had this code or knows anything about it...

A lot of guys dont replace it and it will affect the turbo performance..  Yes there can be several issues to cause this. The pipe you speak of is around $1200.00,  There is a check valve at the intake manifold end of that pipe that can get sooted up and act foolish..  You can un screw it and clean and inspect it. and put it back in if it is not damaged..  I'm trying to keep you from spending thousands on hard parts that dont fail very often..  You can also lube the VGT actuator at the lever on the turbo.  We used to take the pin out and buff the pin lube it before putting it back in..  Another thing I have repaired, was a bad or incorrect boost sensor..  I hope the mechanic is not a new age laptop crazy guy, and rather an actual Mechanic..   Can he test drive the truck?? jojo

No ,he hardly ever test drives just the computer.....i priced that tube at mack it was 1900.00..i have no issues getting it but i wanted to double check first...thanks for the info..i just got the truck a few weeks ago for my lowboy..the gauges will work the quit it cuts on and off...does that have anything to do with it u think? Wiring or so

Oh Hell... Check all the grounds!! I have posted this procedure many times..  Look up a 9-2 code and follow the flow chart..  It takes an hour or 2 but it needs to be done...  and you dont need to be a master mechanic.  just on a 'mission'..   simple tools to do this, as well..  jojo

One common repair I have made it to clean the main eyelets on the bolt that is on the engine block in front of the starter..  You need a 15/16" wrench. remove it, (if it's not tight It is a problem) clean the block, bolt, eyelets, and if there are star washers, throw them in the trash..  scrape off any heat shrink glue that has oozed out onto the eyelets.. then put it back together nice and tight.. The 2 thin eyelets are for the engine wire harness, if they dont ground good, you WILL have issues like yours..  jojo

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The most common reason the mass flow/temperature sensor assembly fails is failed EGR cooler (cracked leaking coolant internally) or even condensation in the cooler. The sensor assembly can not tolerate any water/liquid and will fail as soon as coolant passes through it. They are very delicate, that’s why they are welded into the tube. The main reason the EGR fails is the screen in the lower radiator “Y” pipe clogs and stop flow of coolant to the EGR cooler and it overheats and cracks .