Battery Advise

Hi Guys Need some advise. In the process of restoring an 81 Cruiseliner, Powerd by a 350 Cummins. I have room for 4 large batteries, How many do I really need? It had 2 car batteries in it when I drove it home.

Thanks, Brian

You could get by with three group "31" batteries of high capacity, but I would run four if the truck is started/operated below freezing.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Guys Need some advise. In the process of restoring an 81 Cruiseliner, Powerd by a 350 Cummins. I have room for 4 large batteries, How many do I really need? It had 2 car batteries in it when I drove it home.

Thanks, Brian

If the truck has a block heater you can get away with 2 or 3 group 31's. The Cummins takes a lot of cranking time below 40 degrees. If that is the case, better keep 4 batteries

If the truck has a block heater you can get away with 2 or 3 group 31's. The Cummins takes a lot of cranking time below 40 degrees. If that is the case, better keep 4 batteries

It does have a block heater, I have not tested it to see if it works. I just found it tonight, the cord is partially severed, so a repair is necessary. I do not plan on using it a lot in cold weather, So I am going to try to stict with the 3 battery setup for now. I will have to have new battery cables made before going to the 4 battery setup and money is auwful tite right now.

All of my Macks have been converted to 2 batteries. Installed on the drivers side (closest to the starter). We use Group 31 with 1150 CCA. We start very few mornings less than 30 degrees here in NC. At 26 degrees on Saturday the MH with a 290 Cummins turned over just fine.

All of my Macks have been converted to 2 batteries. Installed on the drivers side (closest to the starter). We use Group 31 with 1150 CCA. We start very few mornings less than 30 degrees here in NC. At 26 degrees on Saturday the MH with a 290 Cummins turned over just fine.

Thanks Guys,

After reading everyones comments, I think I've just come up with a solution for my situtation. I am building a toterhome so I am looking for a 24' x 102 w x 108 h box with rollup door to convert into a camper. Which means I will be needing a couple of deep cycle batteries also.

With that in mind, What do you think about this setup. I use 2 group 31s in the drivers side battery box, On the right side I run 2 large deep cycle batteries. (mainly for camper use) But with a battery switch that will allow me to connect them to the start batteries if needed. I used to run a similar setup on a sportfishing boat I had years ago. I could tie my trolling batteries to the start batteries in case of a emergency. It no fun being on the ocean when 1 engine won't crank and you have to crawl back to shore.

Brian

Wire in two diodes and draw your living space current from the deep cycle batteries, and charge them from the truck when it runs. The diodes will not let you discharge the engine starting batteries with the camper draw by effectively isolating them from the complete circuit.

Many camper/rv stores sell a ready made unit but one can be made for a lot less. About $8.00 would be close.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks Guys,

After reading everyones comments, I think I've just come up with a solution for my situtation. I am building a toterhome so I am looking for a 24' x 102 w x 108 h box with rollup door to convert into a camper. Which means I will be needing a couple of deep cycle batteries also.

With that in mind, What do you think about this setup. I use 2 group 31s in the drivers side battery box, On the right side I run 2 large deep cycle batteries. (mainly for camper use) But with a battery switch that will allow me to connect them to the start batteries if needed. I used to run a similar setup on a sportfishing boat I had years ago. I could tie my trolling batteries to the start batteries in case of a emergency. It no fun being on the ocean when 1 engine won't crank and you have to crawl back to shore.

Brian

This is similar to the setup I use to run accessories in my bunk, as I don't idle my truck. The only suggestion you might consider a battery isolator between the starting batteries and the deep cycles. this allows each bank to charge at their proper rates. I have a similar setup on my conversion van. I used a cutoff switch for several years, but battery life is greatly improved with the isolator. They are available at any RV store. Make sure you get an isolator rated for the amp output of your alternator. I also had to run a voltage sense wire(14 ga.) from the alt. to the start battery.