2015 Mack MP8 injector cups

Ok I have begun an injector cup job on my Mack MP8. Well I spent a lot of money on special tools to get this job done. Well cylinder 1 first injector cup I attempt is stuck. Will not come out no matter what I do.  I have tried my heat gun and spraying a white lithium grease(not a lot) but not is working. The cup just won’t come out.  Any suggestions ??

In the olden days, we used to tap threads into the cup where the injector tip fits in, and use a puller with the correct threaded end on it..  We put grease on the tap to collect the millings, and keep them from falling into the cylinder..  This was before the knurled puller was around.  Of course that was for the copper cups, but I bet you could do it with the cups you have..    There should be a few more posts on this coming soon..  Jojo

Tool keep slipping out? I have heard of this issue before but never ran into it. I suspect a lot of carbon build up around it. This guy had same issue, looks like you have to do what you got to do with out damaging the bore. 

6E8B5918-A126-4D49-91F5-FCA4DEAE9ECB.webp

I still havent heard if he is using a 'tap' to cut threads in the cup, or using the knurled tool that grabs the inside of the upper area of the cup..  Tapping threads should do the trick...  then use a puller..  

I believe the tap we use was 8mm x1.25....  however, 5/16" will work and you get threaded rod and some nuts and washers at any hardware store, and make a puller.  It would be good to make a puller that allows you to see the cup move upward.. maybe use a piece of pipe that fits over the hole..  

Edited by Joey Mack
Pore cell fone sperring
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 4:19 AM, Joey Mack said:

I believe the tap we use was 8mm x1.25....  however, 5/16" will work and you get threaded rod and some nuts and washers at any hardware store, and make a puller.  It would be good to make a puller that allows you to see the cup move upward.. maybe use a piece of pipe that fits over the hole..  

Note if you do any type of taping on on these be sure to have the valves closed on each cylinder your working on and blow that cylinder out clean befor moving to the next! there have been a fare few turbo failures due to fragments after doing this job! Joeys ready rod trick may be worth a go there some big washers on top to wined on makes good sense!

Just sayin!

if you put grease on the tap it helps to collect the millings..   not perfect but better than nothing..  and like 'FJH' says... valves closed..  which will be the case, as the rocker shaft will be off the engine during this repair..  Jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
more content needed

9 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

if you put grease on the tap it helps to collect the millings..   not perfect but better than nothing..  and like 'FJH' says... valves closed..  which will be the case, as the rocker shaft will be off the engine during this repair..  Jojo

Yup me dumb like stick bro didn’t remember the rocker scenario! Oh well like I said am no guru on this red stuff! Didn’t get to involved Thankfully!😌

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Its all good and funny too... Hell I do it a bunch..  We just make it funny instead of pissy..  :)  

Yup Its hard to fit a size 12 steel toe in there sometimes and its a tough chew ! I should maybe take my shoes off and try!😂

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the cup puller I used had issues with the Ferrum tool as well . The problem is with the Ferrum tool you cannot tighten it up much or it will lose its grip and fail . So best choice make threads nice and slow put grease while making threads so shavings stick to grease without failing on cylinder . I used that high pressure grease you are going to use to install cups . 0901F38A-53AC-42F0-89DB-C09483940FF3.thumb.jpeg.903c0295189b7e1e10579b80c4c5fe32.jpeg