A day in Infamy

High Binder

Yes it finally forced Americas hand, no more sitting on the fence 

Dunno whether most Americans realize or not but Australia along with the rest of the Empire and its allies had already been at war for 2 years or longer 

The US really helped turn the tide of war both in Europe and the Pacific 

It really is hard for any of us today to even comprehend what it must of been like

WW1 was over mear 20 years before, then the great depression and then this 

Bugger me we have had it easy by comparison 

Thanks to all who gave so much, not for themselves, but for generations to come 

I find myself questioning as I get older whether I have lived a worthy life when I consider all that was selflessly given to allow me to live this life

I reckon it wouldn't hurt a lot of people to question this as well, help us make sure we aren't squandering the opportunities given to us

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

80 years ago today the tide had well and truely turned

FB-IMG-1670554243792.jpg

Today marks the 80th anniversary of the fall of Gona. 

The beachhead battles were the final slog in the long campaign to defeat the Japanese in Papua. The overland attack towards Port Moresby had begun in July 1942, when Japanese forces established beachheads at Buna, Gona, and Sanananda, three villages along a 25-kilometre stretch of the north coast of Papua.

By mid-September, the Japanese had fought their way along the Kokoda Trail and, it is said, could see the lights of Port Moresby. But they had outrun their supply line and were soon ordered to withdraw because of losses suffered elsewhere. 

Pursued by elements of the 7th and 6th Divisions, the Japanese dug in along the north coast, determined to hold the beachheads at all costs. On 16 November, Australian troops crossed the Kumusi River, about 65 km from the beachheads.

The subsequent battles took place during the tropical wet season, in one of the most malarial regions in the world, in waterlogged swamp, dense jungle, and 2-metre-tall kunai grass, facing an enemy that was skilful, well prepared and resolute. The difficult conditions favoured the Japanese force, which had developed a strong network of well-concealed defences. 

For two bloody months, the Australians and Americans threw themselves against the defenders, dislodging them only after a fight that many veterans later considered their toughest of the war. The Japanese position at Gona was finally cleared on the morning of the 9th of December – 80 years ago today. 

Image: Australian troops rest after the charge, which cleared the Japanese out of Gona. Photographer: George Silk, 013845

• Like 2