CL Re-power

4 hours ago, BGarofalo said:

I thought I would take you guys along on one of my projects.  I’ll warn you now, I don’t get a lot of free time so I will update when I can.  
Ill start by saying I love my Mack’s and have several that are E9 powered.  It’s a great engine but it’s by no means the only great engine.   In my line of work I get to drive all sorts of different trucks and some of the CAT engines are very impressive not only in power but durability as well. That being said, I’ve decided to mate the 2 together.

Probably about a year and half ago I came across a project truck that I couldn’t pass up.  I ended up just adding  it into the pile of other unfinished projects.  Until now… 
I’m working on a 2001 CL733 tractor.  It’s a 2 owner truck from what I can tell and I bought it in pieces.  The man I bought it from had removed the ISX Signature 600 engine because it blew up ( shocking I know).  Well it sat in the weeds engineless for a long while until I came along and brought it home.  
The good:
Double frame( no separation)
Mack 18 speed
Mack air ride (4.17 r)
12-24.5 tires on aluminum 
Full fenders and headache rack
2 line wet line
Double steering box
70k holland fifth wheel
No rust
The bad:
Missing engine
Missing full cooler pack
Smells like a mouse nest
This is about as good as it gets for retrofitting a new engine.  Next comes the hunt for an engine. 

57A5CF08-2C5D-44CD-AC31-F347744D732E.jpeg

FE4BAE46-3EC5-4300-AA98-3930CBC2F091.jpeg

3406 E would be my choice if I weren't using a Mack engine ! 460 Mack eteck or E7  would be my ultimate choice these chassis linked up with the e7 of any sort is n awesome combo! easy to work on stand up oil change what could be better! 

E Tech 460 (pre 2004) was indeed a fantastic engine. Especially if it was as it should be and taken care of.  Tri-axle tractor though ???  The 3406 has way more power and more engine brake.  Both make a day ride'n around gross'n over 100K a little shorter.

• Like 1

The 460 has its merits but it’s not on the same level as a 15.2L C15.  This truck was already equipped with a vendor engine that’s why I’m gonna do the swap this way.  Plus, I have yet to find another stateside Mack equipped with a C15 so it makes it even more appealing to me.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...