Engine

Will

I'm guessing it's right hand drive.   I'd love to see a picture. How long has it been touching and under what conditions does it touch?  Ie: driving style, and terrain? Does it touch when off road?  Can  you rotate the compressor volute out of the way and make a new CAC pipe?  

8 hours ago, Will said:

Mack Trident 1998 model 470 etech, turbo touching steering column when accelerating hard under load. Engine and gearbox mounts look ok. 

anyone with any ideas would be great. Cheers

My guess is the rear engine mounts are toast!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

That was my first thought too FJH.. But he says they are good...  Maybe a second look is needed..  

Depends on the style! I assume its the Big single as used on the MH and later RW here! The bolts on the left hand can come loose and sometimes break ! Mostly behind a V8 ! All bets are off if its that new Volvo Mount they are garbage to start with! Not sur if the Auz trucks are built the same! Not sure the Volvo Take over was after 2002 so likley the affore mentioned!

• Like 1

How much clearance between turbo and column when it's sitting? Have you jacked up gearbox to check the mounts? They can look good, but have seperated the rubber from the steel plates. By memory the LH one is hard to see properly.

Good call 67R, worth a look, cab mounts are usually neglected when servicing

OK. here are some questions that may help:

1. Is this something that just happened? Like you opened the hood one day and they were touching? Or have you noticed the clearance between the two getting smaller over time.

2. How much is the clearance on a Trident that doesn't have this problem? 3 inches or 3mm?

3. Have you done any crazy offroading or heavily loaded offroading? Maybe your frame is twisted? If engine, trans, and cab mounts are all new/good what else could it be?

• Like 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

OK. here are some questions that may help:

1. Is this something that just happened? Like you opened the hood one day and they were touching? Or have you noticed the clearance between the two getting smaller over time.

2. How much is the clearance on a Trident that doesn't have this problem? 3 inches or 3mm?

3. Have you done any crazy offroading or heavily loaded offroading? Maybe your frame is twisted? If engine, trans, and cab mounts are all new/good what else could it be?

Good Call 67!