R Model Steering Wheel

Mcrafty1

Question

Morning all, I have an 1986 Mark R685S, It has the mack steering wheel that feels like a soft rubber material that gets sticky feeling at various times/weather conditions, if you have one you know what I mean. I do not like it and would very much like to change it for a wheel with the solid bone type similar to what the older B models had. The problem is there are far to many wheels of all types listed for macks but most if not all offerings don't stipulate specific model fitment. What would I need to do to get the information need  to be assured that the wheel I'm purchasing fits my particular wheel column? I really don't want to pull my wheel to count splines or mic shaft size if I can have the new wheel in hand before I pull the old one, Thanks for any help with this.

8 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Mcrafty1 said:

Morning all, I have an 1986 Mark R685S, It has the mack steering wheel that feels like a soft rubber material that gets sticky feeling at various times/weather conditions, if you have one you know what I mean. I do not like it and would very much like to change it for a wheel with the solid bone type similar to what the older B models had. The problem is there are far to many wheels of all types listed for macks but most if not all offerings don't stipulate specific model fitment. What would I need to do to get the information need  to be assured that the wheel I'm purchasing fits my particular wheel column? I really don't want to pull my wheel to count splines or mic shaft size if I can have the new wheel in hand before I pull the old one, Thanks for any help with this.

I fitted a wheel off 2002 Mack Vision and if suited 1988 R-model steering column fine. Had that same black rubber wheel you was telling about and got newer style which looks good on my mind. The pic is not my truck but the same look.

00d0d_6ca5AhMyl2L_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

13 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

I fitted a wheel off 2002 Mack Vision and if suited 1988 R-model steering column fine. Had that same black rubber wheel you was telling about and got newer style which looks good on my mind. The pic is not my truck but the same look.

00d0d_6ca5AhMyl2L_1200x900.jpg

I'm watching one just like that on ebay...and actually like that style, I had an 85 , Western Star with that same when. Thanks I think I'll pull the trigger on that one.

My guess is that style of the wheels could have different hubs depending on a truck model it was used on (don't know for sure though). The wheel I used was off a Mack and had its center with Mack logo, as on the picture.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vladislav said:

My guess is that style of the wheels could have different hubs depending on a truck model it was used on (don't know for sure though). The wheel I used was off a Mack and had its center with Mack logo, as on the picture.

I believe that is correct, I've seen that style wheel on many different brands, The guy selling the 'Complete Mack Steering Wheel' I purchased states it is a MACK wheel...but I have found that he only sends the center after you pay him another $60.00, since I don't like  'shakedowns' I'll find a center for the wheel somewhere else.

Factory Mack wheel had its hub riveted to the plate (spokes). It looks though that you can purchase a wheel of the same vendor as aftermarket. But it sells as just a rim with spokes with holes to install a hub. Or a wheel with a hub but sellers mention a need of adaptor. So a contour of another story than just a ready correct wheel to fit seems on a horizont. 

• Like 1

Following up....I ended up buying a replacement wheel like the one pictured here in  Vladislav's post, it came from 4State Trucks and it is a universal wheel with the needed hub and accessories to allow it to fit my  steering column. Thanks for the help with this issue. The wheel I purchased doesn't have the Mack Logo on the center, it has SCI which is the wheel manufactures logo so if having the Bulldog on the center is a problem they won't work for others. It wasn't a problem for me.

Edited by Mcrafty1
Added info
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 2:39 PM, mowerman said:

That’s kind of weird I’m thinking somebody replaced it because I had an 87U model and had the old style three spoke solid wheel…. Bob sometimes you just have to do what you got to do with these old timers and welcome back….. Bob

Many of the R models  in my area have/had the type of wheel I'm replacing, everyone that I know of has/the same complaint with them. what ever they used to make the wheels feel softer to the touch caused the problem I think.

Edited by Mcrafty1