B Model wheelbase options

TIMWAR

Newbie question….I really like the short wheelbase B42 with a dump body.  I had one 36 years ago. I don’t see many around for sale. 
my question is …can you convert a tandem axle to single axle ? 
and can the wheelbase be changed ? 
Are there existing holes in the frame to do this ? 
Is this a common thing they might have been done “ back in the day”? 
I hope this isn’t a dumb question ..

thanks in advance 

there are no such things as dumb questions . it more of a dumb situation not to ask a question.  my point of view to take a tandem and convert to a single would :1- require a lot of parts,another rear end= 2- alot of drilling . your drilling new holes =you can make any wheel base that works for you. 3-do you have a truck already or in the looking stage. 

it would be much easier to find a descent B model single axle tractor = remove 5th wheel  add a dump body. if a dump truck is what you are aiming for. to make a single axle from twin- screw challenging.  B42 - gas job. I had a '49 EE dump with plow. lots of fun plowing snow. regrettably I let  that go.

It is easy to shorten a wheel base,MUCH easier than lengthening one. If you are starting with a tandem, just toss the t]front diff and move the back one to where you want and drill the holes for the hangers. Easier still if the front axle is where you want the single to go. Depending on how the springs are set up on a tandem it MAY require replacement (single axle) springs and hangars. I shortened my single axle from around 170" to 156" wheel base but I also put air ride.

Most Mack tandems will use camelback springs.  Not that easy to just remove one axle.  The single-screw springs are different.  Like LTK said, you might be able to use the rear axle, relocated forward.  But, the spring perches on the axle housing will probably have to be changed.  Again, with enough time, money, and work, you can do just about anything.

I have seen single-axle Macks with both the top-loaded and front-loaded differentials used.  So, there are some options out there.

But, like Mech said, it's a LOT easier to find a single axle to start from.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

1 hour ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

But, like Mech said, it's a LOT easier to find a single axle to start from.

And the only difficult part of THAT is location. I have one complete with springs and hangars to GIVE away but I suspect you are not all that close to me. Truck transport would be likely $1000 for it (that was the quote for transport of a complete diff from Ontario to here a year ago IIRC) so obviously finding one closer would be the ticket. I don't think finding another one for free would be all that difficult.

Edited by Licensed to kill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

as was written in first text;; he's a hobbyist  , there are many ways all of which have been explained here to get back the B42 single axle he once had. would take a decent shop set up to convert a tandem to single axle. with time and $$$$$ anything can be done.  always easier to shorten one . I did a ford long wheelbase box , made it into a short base dump. as with all forums hopefully   updates will follow. 

15 hours ago, TIMWAR said:

Newbie question….I really like the short wheelbase B42 with a dump body.  I had one 36 years ago. I don’t see many around for sale. 
my question is …can you convert a tandem axle to single axle ? 
and can the wheelbase be changed ? 
Are there existing holes in the frame to do this ? 
Is this a common thing they might have been done “ back in the day”? 
I hope this isn’t a dumb question ..

thanks in advance 

If you find a tandem truck and want to make it a short single axle I would say its fairly easy. You will need to find a single axle rear end with leaf springs with the proper gear ratio for a gas engine (I think a B42 is a gasser). I think @Mean Greenhas one he is willing to donate to a good home. Like others have said a tandem will most certainly have a camelback suspension and using one the tandem axles isn't really feasible. As far as installing the the new single axle onto the frame I would say its a straight forward process if the rear end you get has the leaf springs and hangers still attached. I shortened my R model from 207" to 165" wheelbase with just basic tools when I was forced to stay home for covid19 lockdown. Took about three days of work to complete but I took my time and was methodical about it. Pretty much all I needed was a 1/2" breaker bar with a 15/16" socket, 15/16" wrench, 1/2" drill, a premium quality Cobalt 5/8" drill bit, a tape measure, sledge hammer, and a lot of muscle. I was able to shorten my existing driveshaft. I think the shop charged me somewhere around $150 to shorten and rebalance my driveshaft. You may need to get a new driveshaft made if the yokes are not the same on between the two different axle setups. Not really a big deal though. Attached are some of the pictures of when I shortened mine. Very doable project.

IMG_2218.thumb.JPG.d7a3ddd174da412e29a9220f8a8142c1.jfif IMG_2223.thumb.JPG.a81b9cb40800122b8d6882caa8d4673a.jfif IMG_2224.thumb.JPG.bd76e86dfa69ba31639d6eced30c7869.jfif IMG_2244.thumb.JPG.be4a5464f06fe84c009c64a71c17c5a5.jfif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

If you find a tandem truck and want to make it a short single axle I would say its fairly easy. You will need to find a single axle rear end with leaf springs with the proper gear ratio for a gas engine (I think a B42 is a gasser). I think @Mean Greenhas one he is willing to donate to a good home. Like others have said a tandem will most certainly have a camelback suspension and using one the tandem axles isn't really feasible. As far as installing the the new single axle onto the frame I would say its a straight forward process if the rear end you get has the leaf springs and hangers still attached. I shortened my R model from 207" to 165" wheelbase with just basic tools when I was forced to stay home for covid19 lockdown. Took about three days of work to complete but I took my time and was methodical about it. Pretty much all I needed was a 1/2" breaker bar with a 15/16" socket, 15/16" wrench, 1/2" drill, a premium quality Cobalt 5/8" drill bit, a tape measure, sledge hammer, and a lot of muscle. I was able to shorten my existing driveshaft. I think the shop charged me somewhere around $150 to shorten and rebalance my driveshaft. You may need to get a new driveshaft made if the yokes are not the same on between the two different axle setups. Not really a big deal though. Attached are some of the pictures of when I shortened mine. Very doable project.

IMG_2218.thumb.JPG.d7a3ddd174da412e29a9220f8a8142c1.jfif 61.83 kB · 2 downloads IMG_2223.thumb.JPG.a81b9cb40800122b8d6882caa8d4673a.jfif 62.38 kB · 1 download IMG_2224.thumb.JPG.bd76e86dfa69ba31639d6eced30c7869.jfif 59.42 kB · 0 downloads IMG_2244.thumb.JPG.be4a5464f06fe84c009c64a71c17c5a5.jfif 61.63 kB · 2 downloads

That just about sums it up!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

one thought to keep in mind; if you find a single axle dump : 1- check to see if it was a tractor converted to dump{ might have holes in the rails where a 5th wheel was mounted)'a road tractor may have a different ratio rear set up for strictly road use.  2 -road tractor transmission may not work for your purpose.   as a hobbyist trying to duplicate a previous truck won't make much difference. just expressing thoughts  which might  go unnoticed .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

one thought to keep in mind; if you find a single axle dump : 1- check to see if it was a tractor converted to dump{ might have holes in the rails where a 5th wheel was mounted)'a road tractor may have a different ratio rear set up for strictly road use.  2 -road tractor transmission may not work for your purpose.   as a hobbyist trying to duplicate a previous truck won't make much difference. just expressing thoughts  which might  go unnoticed .

I thought that the B only came with a duplex, triplex or quadplex any of which should be fine in a single axle dump. Again, I have a duplex and triplex for free should anyone want but shipping...............ouch.

• Haha 1