2013 MP8 oil leak

We just replaced the head on our 2013 CHU and everything appears to be running fine except for an oil leak towards the back of the engine. it's a slow steady drip only when engine is running. I've pulled the timing cover and re sealed it a couple times and no apparent leaks on the back of the engine, it seems to be possibly from where the head meets that backing plate? if it was the rear main seal I imagine oil would be coming out of the sight hole on the bottom of the flywheel housing wouldn't it? there was no leak before I replaced the head and I tried to remove as little as possible to do so but I can't seem to figure out exactly where it is leaking.

any suggestions?

On 9/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, Joey Mack said:

which side?  did you leave the dog house out, and run the engine to try to find the leak? there is a steel line behind the engine,  isnt it an oil line?  i forget...  

Yes sir. Thats the egr oil return line. 

V

Did you put silicone on the timing gear plate before you put the cylinder head on?

It can also be the cam position sensor o-ring that failed. When you put the upper timing cover back on, did you make sure that the cover is flat with the cylinder head?

V

• Like 2

As Vmac3 mentioned, there are very specific sealing procedures when putting a head back on a MP engine.  On the upper rear timing gear cover. The early ones were aluminum and were good. Just change the rubber gasket and all is good. The newer covers are plastic and junk. I replaced the whole cover every time because they warp and leak. Also using the hood down tool that pushes the cover down while you tight the screws is a must 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 6:03 AM, Vmac3 said:

Did you put silicone on the timing gear plate before you put the cylinder head on?

It can also be the cam position sensor o-ring that failed. When you put the upper timing cover back on, did you make sure that the cover is flat with the cylinder head?

V

Sorry for the late response I didn't get notified of any replies for some reason, upon further inspection I believe that the timing plate is the culprit I put silicone on before putting the head back on but I guess maybe I didn't use enough or it was a bad tube or whatever but it does appear to be leaking from between the head and that plate, is there anything I can do short of removing the head and re-installing it? It seems to be coming more from the passenger side back behind the ear and exhaust manifold