73 Mack Oil Bath Air Filter

73cf600

Has anyone seen or serviced an air filter like this? I’m working through maintenance items on my 73 Mack CF600 with the ENDT 675 diesel, 237hp. I don’t see it listed in the original service manual that came with the truck. It looks like an oil bath or some type of combo oil bath air filter. How does it come apart and how do you service it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

D08EBBCB-0A5D-414E-A52E-DF189647EB48.jpeg

1589A703-48F0-4BCF-813E-2214A06123C6.jpeg

That filter looks more like the one's we use on the combine for the AC system, not made to use with the suction from an engine especially a turbocharged one. Plus there's a plug that doesn't go anywhere on the top side which I'm guessing from the pictures is the clean air, don't run the engine for too long with that set up until you learn more. Wouldn't want to cause any damage. 

where is the outside air intake . with an either capsule container(cylinder with spring cap) on lower section i wouldn't  think it has oil bath,, custom made for fire truck application  hopefully as you disassemble it you keep the forum posted. custom built by body installer?  is that an air or electrical wire going to top corner? 

13 minutes ago, BOBWhite said:

That filter looks more like the one's we use on the combine for the AC system, not made to use with the suction from an engine especially a turbocharged one. Plus there's a plug that doesn't go anywhere on the top side which I'm guessing from the pictures is the clean air, don't run the engine for too long with that set up until you learn more. Wouldn't want to cause any damage. 

the plug on the side may have been where they had the plastic service indicator.

• Like 1

God works in funny ways. I couldn’t find anything about this filter in my original service manual. I just received a book in the mail an hour ago about the Mack CF Fire Trucks in a photo archive. Lo and behold, on page 15 is a picture of a CF600 going down the assembly line with the new Maxidyne engine and what looked like the air filter I’m looking for. I looked at the picture with a magnifying glass and then enlarged it with my phone. It’s a Donaldson Duralife Panel Filter. Best I could tell it says you can blow it out with air or wash it. 

E92C6E4A-290F-487E-8A00-CE7152BD4E67.jpeg

B3A793E7-39BD-4D72-BA3F-24E759BC5A09.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks to Mechaholic for pointing out the fitting for the service indicator. I missed that. I’ll have to see if I can find one. Also, the wires running on top go to two light bulbs on top of the engine. 

Looking down the inspection pipe, it looks like a dry media of some kind, so it probobly isn’t oil bath. Now that I have some idea of what I’m working with, I’ll take it down over the weekend and post some pictures of what I find. Thanks again for all the replies.

Ed

AC002A0C-9257-4B5D-ABD3-DABA76E5121D.jpeg

F0418E62-B46E-4AC0-B3D9-E1DB02A093FD.jpeg

1 hour ago, 73cf600 said:

God works in funny ways. I couldn’t find anything about this filter in my original service manual. I just received a book in the mail an hour ago about the Mack CF Fire Trucks in a photo archive. Lo and behold, on page 15 is a picture of a CF600 going down the assembly line with the new Maxidyne engine and what looked like the air filter I’m looking for. I looked at the picture with a magnifying glass and then enlarged it with my phone. It’s a Donaldson Duralife Panel Filter. Best I could tell it says you can blow it out with air or wash it. 

E92C6E4A-290F-487E-8A00-CE7152BD4E67.jpeg

B3A793E7-39BD-4D72-BA3F-24E759BC5A09.jpeg

Well it definitely isnt a oil bath fillter so if you look after it, it should last another 40 years without to much drama 

Yes blow it out with compressed air, you can get special attachments so high pressure air isnt directed at the element and punch a hole in it 

IH used to sell a wash soloution for air filters, guessing most companies did as well

Pretty sure Donaldson still have a filter reco servicing service that puts a new element in a old filter Swishman did this some years back in Australia 

So if your watching Swishy spill the beans and as you say "give till it hurts" 

Either way, if you wash it, blow it or just tease it a little make sure before you use it again you get a lead light and hold it behind and have a good look at the entire element for any tares 

Paul

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 73cf600 said:

Being my air filter is 50 years old, the Donaldson stickers have worn off.

don't feel bad  at 71 years old I HAVE A LOT OF THINGS WORN also. sorry couldn't help myself ;;;;LOL. a number of fire dept members should have same air filter set up.I would try for a new filter element. before a wash ; do everything possible to fine a part # . at least have a number for cross-over. remember it says can be washed ;; that meant when it was a few yrs old ;; don't think it would mean 50 yrs old when the paper is dried out and water may destroy it.  just sayin.

the fitting on the side for air filter service indicator  is a special fitting..should not be a clear open hole. purposely has restricted hole. filter if good  or  replaced can run with out the filter indicator. should be 1/8th pipe thread. a pipe plug won't be an issue till an indicator (plastic cyl with resettable  plunger) is found. they are installed so owner doesn't have to keep disassembling the filter housing. plus the indicator aren't the most accurate;;

Mech, I understand. I'm 65 with back and neck issues, so I have my share of worn out items myself. :) Working in the confined spaces on this CF600 is challenging, but I'll get through it. Thanks for the info.

Ed