1987 mack superliner E6 350

John d

I have a EM6-285 that I just recently had the pump shop rebuild and recalibrate the pump and injectors and bought a new turbo. Like fjh and many others have said I wouldn’t try to get too ambitious. Having said that I wish I had done mine a long time ago. As for the turbo I went with a new holset part# 3580251. It was recommended on this site by another member for a E6 350.  
I think I paid around $1150 through the pump shop I use here. 
I did also call Antrim and he strongly recommended a turbo used on the E7-427 that he said made great results on the E6. However it was a couple grand and had to have a 5” to 4” exhaust downpipe. And some modifications to the air to air plumbing because that turbo outlet comes out at a angle as opposed to the straight up on the E6. 
I went with the holset and I’m happy. Of course fueling plays a part in boost too. But I was seeing 22-23 lbs of boost before and now I see about 28 loaded in a pull about 1600 rpm. Had some good advice from good folks here. Hoping to pass it on. 
good luck 

josh

• Like 2

I hope that doesn’t happen to mine but I also doubt mine is putting out over 350 hp. Mine was absolutely a dog before no pun intended. Lol.  It was a 285 and the pump was in bad shape according to the pump shop. I also did away with the tip turbine which I don’t know if it was working right either. Anyway My pump has the stock 11 mm barrels. My pump guy said the 350 pump is 12 mm. ??
He set mine at the 320 or 325 hp calibration and gave it 10-15%. He seemed to think it would be good. I’m happy. I read of hot E6 engines running with big cats. Mine will not. But it’s much better than it was. Much. Glenn you are probably familiar with the folks at Thompson diesel. I trust them as I have always had good service from them. 
I hope mine lives but whenever it does give up it the E6 will probably be retired and I’ll fit an E7 in its place. For now I’m satisfied with it though so hopefully it lives a while. It’s also a low mileage use truck. I’m not in it every day. I do dirt work so it’s an equipment mover and dump trailer for my jobs. Not many miles a year. 
Josh