Mack rd600 dump truck transmission help

Steven

Hi new to the mack truck family πŸ™‚ just bought my first dump truck I'm getting ready to pull the transmission it has a broken shift rail so going to have to send out the trans to get fixed.Β 

Iv never pulled a trans on a mack truck or big rig befor but pull lots out of small truck.

The mack is a 91 mack rd600 dump truck. Just looking for some advise on pulling the trans do I need to support the back of the motor?

Is it easier to leave the clutch on the motor or on the trans?

The clutch is new with only 50,000 on her would really appreciate any tech tips!! πŸ˜€

Edited by Steven

• Steven changed the title to Mack rd600 dump truck transmission help

Steven if all it has is a broken shift rail why don’t you just take the floor out and pull the shifter fork/rail assy cover off the top of the transmission and repair it rather than sending the trans out ? But if you want to pull the trans then yes you must support the back of the engine with a chain before you pull the transmission , and if you pull the transmission replace the clutch brake and yes the clutch /pressure plate stays with the engine.Β 

• Like 1

It's way easier to pull the seat and floor out than drop the driveshaft, unbolt any air tanks that are in the way, jack up back of engine, and then find out you gotta pull the floor anyway to get the shift tower off. Plus you can give the cab a good cleaning and soundproofing.Β 

On 4/27/2022 at 6:37 PM, Steven said:

Hi new to the mack truck family πŸ™‚ just bought my first dump truck I'm getting ready to pull the transmission it has a broken shift rail so going to have to send out the trans to get fixed.Β 

Iv never pulled a trans on a mack truck or big rig befor but pull lots out of small truck.

The mack is a 91 mack rd600 dump truck. Just looking for some advise on pulling the trans do I need to support the back of the motor?

Is it easier to leave the clutch on the motor or on the trans?

The clutch is new with only 50,000 on her would really appreciate any tech tips!! πŸ˜€

Congrats on your new to you bulldog..just wanted to add that if you have a Mack transmission, they are a little bit more difficult to remove since the triple counter shaft design makes them very top heavy, make sure you have a good transmission jack that allows you to strap it down real good. Last thing you want is to have that transmission sitting on your lap. On the other hand if you have an eaton transmission , they are much simpler to remove since they're flat and can be positioned better on the jack.

Also if transmission is to be removed, might be a good time to replace the puck style motor mounts.

Β 

Red

Edited by R.E.D
  • Like 2