Fan clutch

TimberJack

Picked up a new fan clutch for my 2008 CHU and the wires coming out of it looks nothing like the old one. Called my dear an they said the old part number is no good and it has a new number. I asked them was there a new bracket for the wires since there wasn’t the long plastic stem coming up off the new style. They said no, what’s supposed to hold it from spinning the wires around? Has anyone installed one yet? 

did you get sold an ASET fan clutch instead of an MP fan clutch..  Yes there is supposed to be a bracket to secure the wires..  Have you looked it up on the web yourself?  I have been doing that more and more myself...   jojo

• Like 1

is there an updated jumper harness that you need?  I have been out of the dealership for almost 3 years so I am rusty on this, just tossing out some basic questions... jojo

No it plugs right up. The top one is the new one they gave me, the bottom is what was on it. That bottom one has a long hard plastic stem that goes up to a bracket to keep it from moving side to side. Well the new one doesn’t have it so there nothing to keep it from spinning around. 

4B369DEF-1037-409B-B102-FCA8EC1FFA7F.jpeg

62E53DBB-94C4-4E11-A958-D972FB3A5E55.png

well sir I may not be clear on the issue here, but, you need a bracket, even if you make one..   the wires cannot be just hanging there and they need to be secured and not flapping in the wind created by that huge fan..   with respect, jojo

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Being that the truck is a 2008 it would have come with the extremely large Borg Warner Cool Logic fan clutch. They were very prone to failure. They finally came out with a much smaller fan clutch by Berh that requires a new fan blade and all hardware and this all came in a kit from Mack . There were about 6-8 different kits for different engines and truck models. This also requires a software download from the dealership to make it work correctly. They used the same harness plug connector but one fan clutch used more pins than the other . I also have the parts list and instructions for each kit and diagrams showing how to mount the bracket that holds the wires on the fan clutch. P m me if anyone need them 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Also , I believe the Berh fan clutch has been replaced with a different brand clutch that looks very similar and uses the same fan blade and no download was needed. We just replaced a Berh fan clutch in one of our 2016 CXU’s . It came in a Mack box but it was not made by Berh. 

IF IT DOES FIT? you still need to tie off that proboscis that the wires come out of or you will have a major screw up in short order! there is a bracket that comes with the conversion kit i believe you may have to make something!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...