E-6 4valve revs up very high upon start-up

Joey Mack

Hi guy's.. I have a customer with an '87 Superliner, E-6 4 Valve, Ambach inj. pump..  he called me today and said... "It did it again" !..  He fired it up when cold, and it revved passed 2000 and settled at 1900 rpm..  I looked at this truck 3 weeks ago for this issue.  I pulled the CAC hose of on the intake side and there was no oil present.  i did a basic visual inspection and nothing jumped out at me.  I took the intake of the turbo, and it is dry and the turbine is in great shape and not sloppy..  I have almost no knowledge of the inner workings of this injection pump, but I was wondering if the rack is sticking.  He was not able to pull the throttle stop and shut it down, it just kept going, so he jammed it into high gear and stalled it out. My only thought is the rack stuck open, I think he said the throttle pedal had no affect..   Thank you in advance, jojo

im tempted to open it up, but my customer just wants me to pull the pump. I think it a 'knee jerk reaction' to pull the pump..  I have the svc manual for it so, at leaste I have that going for me..  I may just pull the gov. cover off and see if there is something broken..    I hope Glenn add's his thought's, and Vlad,   and hell, once again I can go on and on...  jojo

31 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

im tempted to open it up, but my customer just wants me to pull the pump. I think it a 'knee jerk reaction' to pull the pump..  I have the svc manual for it so, at leaste I have that going for me..  I may just pull the gov. cover off and see if there is something broken..    I hope Glenn add's his thought's, and Vlad,   and hell, once again I can go on and on...  jojo

My problem may have been different not sure but when I started it cold it would race up and then come back to normal,it was getting worse every time I started it,I would pull the back cover and have a look..

Glenn, thank you so very much!!  I know i said i have never been inside this pump, but....  I truly understood everything you said..  I will do exactly what you said... I have run this truck on the yard many times, and it only act up when it sits, and the last time I was there, I saw the fuel filter next to the injection pump was old.. and I told the owner that it needed to be replaced, he said he didnt even know there was one there..  the day I was there I couldnt spend a lot of time because I was in between road call's..  Once again, Glenn,  Thank you,  jojo

• Like 1
  • Like 1

About a year ago a friend of mine that runs a dump truck were i was working had same problem and it is a 1966 R model but it was trying to run away as he was bring it out to do some work on it.We pulls a filter and it was half full of water.I had a spare pump so we installed it and for a few weeks i tried to get it to free up and could not.We found the fuel tank cap had a hole in the top and rail was dripping down the side of the door into the tank.

• Like 2

glenn akers

1 hour ago, MACKS said:

My problem may have been different not sure but when I started it cold it would race up and then come back to normal,it was getting worse every time I started it,I would pull the back cover and have a look..

A sticky rack or worn weights in the governor can do that also.

• Like 2

glenn akers