07 MP7 injector cups

I pulled the injectors on the 04 epa engine I mentioned in another thread.  It has a complete combustion blowout into the fuel gallery on #6 and some leakage apparent on other cylinders as well.  These are the old cups that did not use sealing washers at the nozzles.  Any recommendations for repair and the tooling I'll absolutely need to complete this?  Is cup swaging absolutely necessary?  Should I replace all 6?  So far all I have for parts is o-ring kits and 1 injector.  V said this vintage wasn't problematic like the latter so I'm looking for suggestions.

I know there are always corners that can be cut but I don't want to be too risky.  This is the only modern Volvo/Mack I have to work on at all so I don't want to get a bunch of tooling I'll only use one time in my life.

10 hours ago, Hans Remmers said:

I pulled the injectors on the 04 epa engine I mentioned in another thread.  It has a complete combustion blowout into the fuel gallery on #6 and some leakage apparent on other cylinders as well.  These are the old cups that did not use sealing washers at the nozzles.  Any recommendations for repair and the tooling I'll absolutely need to complete this?  Is cup swaging absolutely necessary?  Should I replace all 6?  So far all I have for parts is o-ring kits and 1 injector.  V said this vintage wasn't problematic like the latter so I'm looking for suggestions.

I know there are always corners that can be cut but I don't want to be too risky.  This is the only modern Volvo/Mack I have to work on at all so I don't want to get a bunch of tooling I'll only use one time in my life.

I am pretty sure those engines had sealing washers on those injectors. They are probably stuck to the underside of the injector or still in the cup. 

v

• Like 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vmac3 said:

I am pretty sure those engines had sealing washers on those injectors. They are probably stuck to the underside of the injector or still in the cup. 

v

I thought they did until I tried knocking it off the worst injector and then cleaned it to realize it was just a housing step.  I checked the cups, nothing.  So I studied the manual and found the earliest cups had a lip in the bottom and didn't use washers.  I've never seen this on any engine, probably why they failed.

I ordered a cup tooling kit on ebay, only $260, as long as it works for 1 job thats cheap enough.

Thanks

• Like 2

There are 2 types of copper cups. The 04 emissions MP7’s had the raised bead in the bottom. The 07 emissions MP7 and MP8 had the flat bottom with the washer on the injector. You can get the tools on Amazon for a quarter of the cost than the ones from Mack. However I like the Mack tools way better if you are going to use it several times . 

• Like 1