Boost issue

Tappy

Question

14 answers to this question

ok... so.... is the boost issue, something you are seeing on a dash gauge? or is it in a test screen on a computer? may I suggest putting a pressure gauge into the intake manifold. I believe there is a small square headed plug in the intake manifold. install a long hose there with a gauge on the other end and take it in the cab with you and go for a drive..  I have one made up with a 12" hose so I can do just that....  jojo

• Like 2

Problem with this is that it could be a number of things egr valve, turbo actuator, sensors, etc. You can go ahead check the basics like boost leaks and fuel pressure…but without PTT on these engines your pretty much at a loss. 

• Like 1

Just to clarify, I meant the hand held gauge..  sorry...  if there is a difference in boost readings from the dash gauge and the hand held gauge, then I would check the sensor..  and I see I posted that my test hose is 12 inches long, I meant 12 feet..  sorry again... sometimes I type too fast..  jojo

• Like 1

Onyx610 it's been to a mack dealer workshop put on the computer and driven and there is no faults to significantly tell us the problem. Sensors were changed out and still the same problem. It's frustrating. 

Jojo thank you. 

Last night we put a camera in the full tank to see if there were any floaties it was 99% clean. I'm going to use the camera on the fuel line to check for any unwanted items. 

It's the most frustrating thing. 

Yes JoeH it sure does... seen it a few times.   Tappy,  I literally bought a 2 camera security system from harbor frieght, and mounted it under the hood with one of thier cheap ass flash lights using their zipties, to watch the EGR valve on a series 60 14 liter detroit, to check EGR operation..... It worked!! I could watch the EGR valve operate as I drove the truck... I had the wires run into the cab, hooked the little screen to an inverter that plugged into the cig lighter plug, and away I went..   Jojo

• Like 2

JoeH we have put a camera in the tank and there was a couple of little black pieces of shit, we have now sucked that out of the tank. 

Joey Mack we are hoping to run the camera. 

With all your help we hope to get to the bottom of this irritating problem.