Air cleaner question.

I didn't want to hijack Teched's thread (parts is parts) but I stole a couple pics from there to make my point (hope Teched doesn't mind). Why do some have a strapped can with a vent door behind the bracket like this?( that also has an "S" pipe so the nipple on the can is straight) 

VideoCapture_20211103-180114.thumb.jpg.8e1b38bf2fe8a353707ebf028faad626.jpg.04c5eb34f347f5891454219354bc33dc.jpg

And others have a strapless can with no door but rather, a rubber ducting going to the heater core and also into the engine compartment and an angled pipe going to an angled nipple on the can like this?

20210515_180305_HDR.thumb.jpg.7331805d005e0b269a42afd27ce9eb84.jpg.ee0cfe8321c124e6a18366974b1421cb.jpg

18 minutes ago, Licensed to kill said:

I didn't want to hijack Teched's thread (parts is parts) but I stole a couple pics from there to make my point (hope Teched doesn't mind). Why do some have a strapped can with a vent door behind the bracket like this?( that also has an "S" pipe so the nipple on the can is straight) 

VideoCapture_20211103-180114.thumb.jpg.8e1b38bf2fe8a353707ebf028faad626.jpg.04c5eb34f347f5891454219354bc33dc.jpg

And others have a strapless can with no door but rather, a rubber ducting going to the heater core and also into the engine compartment and an angled pipe going to an angled nipple on the can like this?

20210515_180305_HDR.thumb.jpg.7331805d005e0b269a42afd27ce9eb84.jpg.ee0cfe8321c124e6a18366974b1421cb.jpg

the upper one is a later set up, don't know exactly the cut off year when they went with it, as far as gas engines i have seen them with external air cleaner on the overhead engines and a oil bath one on top of the carburetor on the flathead engines.   terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I love the tall pipe on top of the canister.  Lots of our R600s had that (like the one in my profile pic).  Think it was pretty common on the Thermodyne engines (like my R611).  They were originally oil-bath cleaners.  Mine still was.  Most of the ones we had back then had been converted to a replaceable paper element.  It was a Mack kit they used to sell.  When I had mine, I tried with no luck to find that old kit.  Would have loved to have replaced mine.

When we got our first Maxidyne truck, it had the short pipe on top.  Little squatty thing.  Not sure if that was a Maxi/Thermo difference, or if it just happened to be the right year model.  Or, maybe it was a paper filter setup already.  Do not remember.  But, I do remember the one I spent most of my time in having the "oil bath" canister, but with the paper filter inside it.  Was kind of a nice surprise the first time I pulled the bottom off of it and DIDN'T get oil all over me!

I have also seen many a Mack with a plain black aftermarket canister on them.  I think it's a Donaldson item.  Looked something like this.  Maybe you can adapt something like that.

image.png.212e02f0cb62bc715ebe5366f56e608f.png

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

2 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

For what it's worth, I love the tall pipe on top of the canister.  Lots of our R600s had that (like the one in my profile pic).  Think it was pretty common on the Thermodyne engines (like my R611).  They were originally oil-bath cleaners.  Mine still was.  Most of the ones we had back then had been converted to a replaceable paper element.  It was a Mack kit they used to sell.  When I had mine, I tried with no luck to find that old kit.  Would have loved to have replaced mine.

When we got our first Maxidyne truck, it had the short pipe on top.  Little squatty thing.  Not sure if that was a Maxi/Thermo difference, or if it just happened to be the right year model.  Or, maybe it was a paper filter setup already.  Do not remember.  But, I do remember the one I spent most of my time in having the "oil bath" canister, but with the paper filter inside it.  Was kind of a nice surprise the first time I pulled the bottom off of it and DIDN'T get oil all over me!

I have also seen many a Mack with a plain black aftermarket canister on them.  I think it's a Donaldson item.  Looked something like this.  Maybe you can adapt something like that.

image.png.212e02f0cb62bc715ebe5366f56e608f.png

I have an exact can as the top pic with the tall riser and one with the short riser bet they are a little different from one another. One has a slight rim around the top and the other doesn't. I will need to find a match to either one.