2014 MP8 Regen Issue

Goddy454

Could use a little help with a regen issue. Truck is calling for a parked regen and it fails. The regen starts but after about 5 mins the idle becomes lopey  and the exhaust temps only go as high as 360. While viewing the data in PTT i see the turbo only reaches a maximum speed of 22K RPMS and my EGR Diff pressure reads 1.5. With the truck at normal idle the turbo speed is 0 RPM. Besides a faulty turbo is there anything I should look for that cause the the turbo issue, and what can anybody tell me about the EGR Diff Pressure. I dont think that is normal, I did swap the sensor and it made no difference. Could my EGR valve be malfunctioning too. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

EGR valve could be stuck open some and 7th injector could be dirty. We had one with a bad valve and it would fail regens and the dpf was face plugged. I was told one time from someone at  Bergeys truck centers that if you take the egr pipe off that goes into the intake and if you feel pulsing/exhaust your valve is open. Just have to figure out when it should be closed to do that test. 

Could be a combination of a faulty turbo/actuator and maybe a discharge recirculation valve? Maybe the DOC is plugged up too? Hopefully some of the guys with a lot more knowledge on this can help you out. 

looks like you are holding the gasket for the 7th injector...  the DPF has a boatload of soot on it as well.. What is going on before turbo pipe?   I have used a lenth of .035" wire from a mig welder to rod out the DPF (gently) but never one a filthy as that one...   Looks like re-gens were not completed..  I'm so rusty on these P.O.S. systems. are there any leaks around the sealing ring's?  have you reused the rings and clamps and didnt get the sections connected good during previous dissassemblies?   The slightest air/pressure leak can cause issues with the differential pressure sensors, both in the DPF and the EGR venturi pipe...  there will be much smarter folks than me chiming in on this...  Jojo

I’d say yes, being it’s essentially a boost leak. Kind of like a wastegate. Plus it will change the air fuel ratio. Probably why the idle seems different. You could have a bad actuator. Run some tests and see what you come up with. Post back with what you find and I’m sure some of the guys on here will be able to get you going in the right direction. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

I’d say yes, being it’s essentially a boost leak. Kind of like a wastegate. Plus it will change the air fuel ratio. Probably why the idle seems different. You could have a bad actuator. Run some tests and see what you come up with. Post back with what you find and I’m sure some of the guys on here will be able to get you going in the right direction. 

Agree ! The turbo needs to spool to create heat for the regen if the EGR  valve is held open whether being told to by the computer or by the turbo being stuck it cant do it! If the DP sensor Or The Ports  are  clogged  under the sensor the egr valve will gradually l be commanded open by the ECU as it thinks there is not enough egr flow !this creates more soot yada yada Its a vicious Circle! this seems to be one of  the most common causes of face plugging pf the dpf  From what we see at our shop!

I did clean the venturi tube ports and they good, i have the turbo off, seems like it sticks a little bit, doesn't  freewheel as easy as i think it should,I didn't pull the actuator to check the gate. I have other trucks sitting around so i am borrowing some parts and running comparisons.  I am still looking at things and will post back with results. Thanks.