Power divider conversion

Origin Farm

So I'm totally new to this site. Have read many older posts and appreciate them very much . I have an 87 superliner that had a bad front rear. 5.32 were in it. Switching out to 4.64...however the 4.64s were the auto power divider style not manual air lock. I took fronts apart after switching rears to discover the cylinder the peanuts drive against are different in the 2 styles. I'm having trouble removing outer cylinders to switch the 2. Any ideas. Or should I just remove the whole through put shaft and pull pinion assembly and housing and swap both entire power divider housings? Thanks if anyone has input much appreciated. 

when you pull the front out, you have the bevel pinion..  the bevel gear is still in the housing on the spur shaft.  the top hat cover on the other side is how to get to the bevel gear...  they are a matched set and need to be pre-loaded and measured for back lash and tooth pattern... yes you can sort-of milk it, without checking backlash and tooth pattern on the bull gear, but, it's really not the right way to build a lasting carrier. you will also see measurements scribed into the gears... when you buy a new gear SET there will be measurements on them as well.. you can do the math using both measurements to 'roughly' figure the shim pack needed...   Mack rears need attention from the inside out to get them right....  just saying...  joey

• Like 2

Great thanks very much for the info I reallyappreciate it. On a side note does anyone know what the torque spec is on the 3" nut that holds the outer cam to the bevel pinion gear. I was really having trouble removing the one off my air lock setup. I was using a torque multiplier and lightly heated the nut. 

truth is, ive set a few at around 1200 due to tooling and room to work...  they hold good,,,  I've even used a good strong 1" tire gun to set them, of course it was bolted down... and not in the rear end banging against bevel gear,. the high torque resembles the pre-load needed to set the  gears in place, as well as holding the outer power divider cam in place...  jojo

Yes absolutely. To tell the whole story my front rear failed... mine were 5.32. A friend of mine has a R model with 4.64 in it and the auto power divider. He uses strictly as an offroad truck ...floatation tires etc. He had a set of 5.32s he wanted to put in that to lower gearing. He said if I swapped his rears out for him I could have the 4.64 set for free. We looked in his Mack manuals and it appeared I could just swap the power divider guts easily. Apparently not. So really switching 6 rears to get 2 for free.