93 E7 400 questions

bultaco

it may have an electronic control on the back side of the injection pump...(governor housing) easy to see., a round gray plug..  the 400 has a great power curve, and can pull anything that the other (non MACK) trucks can pull. That engine is the last of the Million Mile Engines..... with the exception of a well maintained E-Tech ......which came after that one... jojo

OK. so bought the truck, it has rod knocking, what year motors would be a bolt in operation?  I know the electronics changed pretty regular in that era motor.  Would a 95 e7 400 be a close fit?   I realize these are referred to as older models, But to a guy who grew up with thermodyne then maxidyne with my  last truck an 85 had an E6.   now 20 years later I am back at it again, Thanks  Roger

Edited by bultaco

• 3 months later...
On 8/30/2021 at 5:26 PM, bultaco said:

OK. so bought the truck, it has rod knocking, what year motors would be a bolt in operation?  I know the electronics changed pretty regular in that era motor.  Would a 95 e7 400 be a close fit?   I realize these are referred to as older models, But to a guy who grew up with thermodyne then maxidyne with my  last truck an 85 had an E6.   now 20 years later I am back at it again, Thanks  Roger

95 should bolt in long as its from a similar truck  ! You may need to swap water pump  fpr the fan to fit! and  some of the external stuff the base is the same thou! !

On 8/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, Joey Mack said:

it may have an electronic control on the back side of the injection pump...(governor housing) easy to see., a round gray plug..  the 400 has a great power curve, and can pull anything that the other (non MACK) trucks can pull. That engine is the last of the Million Mile Engines..... with the exception of a well maintained E-Tech ......which came after that one... jojo

Agree. Those first mechanical and electronic E7 400's were one of the last great Mack motors. I ran one in a CL that grossed 140,000 all the time and it did everything all my other E7460's would do. But was a lot more reliable.

yes sir.. I drove one a bit newer back in the late '90's  it had an 18 spd, it out pulled the newer E-Tech 427's in the fleet.  the 18 spd. helped, but the other's were 13's.. I may be off a year, about the electric gov. maybe '94 was the first year..  anyway,  catch you later, jojo