Gear Vendors:

Has anyone had any experience with one of these units? I'm contemplating installing one into/onto my Dodge 1 ton pickup. The first gear, and fourth gears are too high for some of the heavy pulling that I do with the truck. To run around in it as a personal commuter vehicle is no longer an option as "Momma" says "no more" cause of the mileage.

The engine is completely stock V-10 gas and makes 315hp and 483 ft. pounds of torque. the first gear reduction appears to be 2.45:1, (see link below) and is just not enough. I do not use the overdrive when loaded because it is .69:1 and the truck will not stay there.

This vendor states that their unit can be shifted without letting off of the accelerator pedal also. I don't know about that but it's what they print.

I'll be the first to admit my truck is operated beyond it's design limits. When I put a 21,000# truck on a goosneck trailer that weighs about 8000# empty, and pull it with my Dodge, it is heavier than the design criteria. I have done this and several other operations similar since I purchased the truck new in 1996. It has held up very well for 181,000 miles so far with no mechanical breakdowns. I do maintain it routinely though. Gear Vendors Link-Dodge:

I've seen these things installed on motorhomes and campers, but never operated one myself. They can be a bit expensive, (about $3500.00) so figgered I'd ask a few questions first.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Way back when I had my '99 and '00 Crewcab Fords, I'd put the notion into one of these units. When asking questions back then, they seamed quirky in their operation and weren't just like a "brownie".

All the advertisements I've seen show them in 1000hp hot rods and everything inbetween. Guess they are pretty stout overall, but I still question the shifting methods. If I recall, you have to be going over 18mph to shift it? Kinda leaves low speed work out.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

i think they are little automatics and everyone knows that an automatic needs hydraulic pressure to work so that may be why it has to be going 18 mph because a typical auto has the engine running the pump on the trans this unit uses the driveline so you have to be moving for the pump to work just my thought

Yes, they are definitely just a small automatic tranny, so I agree with the needed speed/rpm to actuate them. That leaves 1st(creeper) and likely 2nd gear out of the question.

I wanted something more like a true 10 spd. Seems I saw something on Youtube that a guy did put a small RR 10 spd in his diesel pickup. Pretty cool sounding. Have to poke around and see if I can find the link. It's not the guy with 2 spd brownie, this was a real 10 spd.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Rob, I have one of the US Gear Dual Range OD units. I bought it off Craigslist for $300.00, it currently has the transmission adapter for a T-18 four speed but US Gear sells the different tranny adapters for around $300.00. They are built beefier than the Gear Vendors unit and might be a little better when draging home heavy new toys.

http://www.usgear.com/dual_range.htm

Rob, I have one of the US Gear Dual Range OD units. I bought it off Craigslist for $300.00, it currently has the transmission adapter for a T-18 four speed but US Gear sells the different tranny adapters for around $300.00. They are built beefier than the Gear Vendors unit and might be a little better when draging home heavy new toys.

http://www.usgear.com/dual_range.htm

I like their literature writeup a bit better. I'm going to talk with them today.

A customer of mine has this brand of unit in his motorhome and likes it very well. It is powered by a 460 Ford and C6 transmission. The combination is said to work well together.

Thanks for the link,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The Gear VEndors will not help you much when hauling loads. It has a 22% overdrive. 3rd overdrive is not much different than 4th direct. You say you cannot hand you high gear now, so the gear vendor will not help you. An empty truck looking for lower rpm at high freeway speeds might like the gear vendor

The Gear VEndors will not help you much when hauling loads. It has a 22% overdrive. 3rd overdrive is not much different than 4th direct. You say you cannot hand you high gear now, so the gear vendor will not help you. An empty truck looking for lower rpm at high freeway speeds might like the gear vendor

Hi there, they make an 22% underdrive unit also which is what I'm interested in. I need the low end reduction that I do not have now.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob.

My thoughts on this:

Since your truck is already geared too high, how about putting a lower ratio gear set in the rear end?

This would give you more reduction for heavy hauling starts in 1st gear, and would also make your current overdrive more usable.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Hi Rob.

My thoughts on this:

Since your truck is already geared too high, how about putting a lower ratio gear set in the rear end?

This would give you more reduction for heavy hauling starts in 1st gear, and would also make your current overdrive more usable.

Hi Herb, great to hear from you again. I have entertained this idea as I have 4.10 ratio now. Running empty at 60mph and I will realize about 12.5 to 13mpg. If I truly make this a "single purpose vehicle" then changing the rear would be the best way to go, (probably a 4.88-5.13 range) but I still use it to run parts for the shop so what limited economy is delivered now, I would like to retain if possible.

In all my years of hauling with a pickup I've never had to stop at scales, carried a log, or anything of the like pertaining to trucking. If I use one of my Macks in this same capacity, things would have to change. Many of these "treasures" that I bring home take much more than 11 hours behind the wheel to retrieve, so that is an issue in itself as my time does allow to "overnight" someplace most times.

Thanks,

Rob