1993 Mack RD688 leaking air out shifter select lever

Onestitch

My Mack started leaking air out around the selector switch on shifter knob ..it is a Maxitorque 12 speed ...is there a rebuild kit for the shifter or do I have bigger problems ...my hand gets black like oil from the air leak too ...drained my air tanks and no oil or water in them ...last winter I had a mechanic rebuild the selector cylinder or valve on the transmission because it was leaking air down there when in D...probably less than 600 miles and now have this oily air leak out shifter selection lever ...wonder if mechanic didnt get it rebuilt right or if shift selector just wearing out ...

Edited by Onestitch

just for sh#ts, you can search PAI but not be able to buy without creating an acct. and so on..... but.... you can get parts numbers and use them to search...   try Nick's truck parts.com...  anyway,  you can get around it and use PAI... jojo......... P.S.  big thumbs up on the 1070B 12 spd..  I love that tranny...

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed

4 hours ago, Onestitch said:

My Mack started leaking air out around the selector switch on shifter knob ..it is a Maxitorque 12 speed ...is there a rebuild kit for the shifter or do I have bigger problems ...my hand gets black like oil from the air leak too ...drained my air tanks and no oil or water in them ...last winter I had a mechanic rebuild the selector cylinder or valve on the transmission because it was leaking air down there when in D...probably less than 600 miles and now have this oily air leak out shifter selection lever ...wonder if mechanic didnt get it rebuilt right or if shift selector just wearing out ...

They are a wear item. The black oily substance is lubrication applied to the sealing rings when the cylinders and shift mechanism were built, or rebuilt. It turns black with age. A kit from PAI is about $40.00 for the basic kit, and about $80.00 for the all inclusive of wear parts kit. I recommend the later and it is an easy repair to perform. Should take about 1/2 hour from start to finish and be sure to label your air lines to ease assembly and connections.

Change the air filter cartridge too just as an annual measure.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.