Jump to content

How to track down air leaks?


Recommended Posts

are the "Down" bags over stretched and leaking?  they look wrong... What do you see here MarkT?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I figured that there had to be an air dryer but I’m just not seeing it. The guy I bought it from had a few other trucks that he ran, so I am not sure if the drivers were just lazy or what. I will admi

I saw a guy killed under a dump body that fell on him when I was fairly young.  Never forgot that. If you block it up, use huge, solid pieces of wood.  Don't take chances under that thing.  I don

That little red cap valve ??   That truck can ( and likely does ) have more than one. Might find one on an air tank you can see from under the truck .  And they could be on either system.  Make liked

Posted Images

That looks like an HLM   so it's air up air down...and it looks huck bolted, so probably from the modshop and has a solinoid somewhere

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

are the "Down" bags over stretched and leaking?  they look wrong... What do you see here MarkT?

I'm thinking since the air bled out the axle dropped and no air was put into the ride bags.  I've seen that at the plant. Now if air was in there if question it.

 

I'm thinking there is a leak at the ride bag quick release, the solenoid, or it's one of the lines between the solenoid and the quick release or between the quick release and the lift bags.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can almost remember those trucks on The NE Extension and thinking the bags were way over stretched.  Like no rolling lobe action at all. Would make sense bags could be shot

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MackTech said:

I'm thinking since the air bled out the axle dropped and no air was put into the ride bags.  I've seen that at the plant. Now if air was in there if question it.

 

I'm thinking there is a leak at the ride bag quick release, the solenoid, or it's one of the lines between the solenoid and the quick release or between the quick release and the lift bags.

There is no air in the system so the axkes dropped, or they are overstretched? I’m not sure what that would look like? 
whays the ride back quick release? And what does the solenoid look like

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dmurph2016 said:

There is no air in the system so the axkes dropped, or they are overstretched? I’m not sure what that would look like? 
whays the ride back quick release? And what does the solenoid look like

You have to understand, lots of guys are willing to help, but it's not easy without being there ( lol ) the solinoid ?  Depending make ?? They all look a little different. So not easy to describe other than it'll have airlines and a wire or two.  But even if the axle has a tiny leak and something else on the same tank leaks more... there's not enough air to keep the axle up

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mark T said:

You have to understand, lots of guys are willing to help, but it's not easy without being there ( lol ) the solinoid ?  Depending make ?? They all look a little different. So not easy to describe other than it'll have airlines and a wire or two.  But even if the axle has a tiny leak and something else on the same tank leaks more... there's not enough air to keep the axle up

I completely understand, without being here is difficult and I am trying my best to understand, but I also don’t know very much myself so it is difficult. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The soapy water trick will get you results.  Once you get the hang of it, then maybe a picture of the leaky area or component ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

2BEC736C-12C1-4D7E-A438-09613C7B9711.thumb.jpeg.bcfe0bc5c7306e14fb10a6e0b0c7097f.jpegI’m not sure why I can only upload 1 or 2 pictures at a time. But here’s a photo of under the frame. I appreciate all the help guys, I’m trying to track this down on my own but if I can’t I’ll end up having to find a shop to bring it to. 

Edited by Dmurph2016
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Ta-Dah!!!!  :)

What can I do to make sure the bed doesn’t come crashing down? I’m sorta afraid to be crawling around under it with it up. Is there a safe procedure or anything I’d you want to leave it up and look at the frame etc?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mark T said:

It looks like someone added air tanks  parallel to the frame.  Those most likely supply all lift axle related air

So those 2 tanks would be working along with one of the other systems, correct? I’m trying my best to understand how it all works.

I do have some more pictures but it seems like I exceeded the data limit so not sure how I can upload them.

Edited by Dmurph2016
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes   the truck was made with the tanks that look to be aluminum. Then someone added the two.  Are you sure one of those two doesn't have a tiny hole rotted through ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mark T said:

Yes   the truck was made with the tanks that look to be aluminum. Then someone added the two.  Are you sure one of those two doesn't have a tiny hole rotted through ?

Not sure, very well could be. I just was cautious looking around with the bed up. I’ll get something to prop it and then check the tanks. Chances are they probably have pinholes rotted in them! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

there arent any props or pins on the bed for you to use? and yes wood blocks have always worked well, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

there arent any props or pins on the bed for you to use? and yes wood blocks have always worked well, 

Didn’t see any, I’ll have to get some wood under there and do some looking around 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I need to find a new way to attach photos to the posts, since I’m out of room and I’m not really sure how to delete pictures and whatnot. I guess I gotta get out there and check some of the likes under the bed and see what’s leaking and go from there 

Edited by Dmurph2016
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...