Trucking News: Ford F-600 Maximizes Towing to 34,500 Pounds

BMT Forum Bot

On 12/14/2020 at 1:26 PM, bulldogboy said:

Strange that the F-600 is only offered in a regular cab. Ford is big in the emergency vehicle field but most want a Super Cab or Crew Cab model.

I think that the F-600 will be big in emergency services but it needs the larger cab.

I think the reason they don't offer a Super or a Crew now is because  the frame has an added reinforcement under the cab.  I understand that reinforcement is the same thing they use on 550 regular cabs that are used for bucket trucks.

They really need a bigger frame.  But it would make a good mini pumper or brush truck.  At 22,000 GVW vs 19500 for a 550 assuming you used the same equipment that a 550 would normally have allowing for some added tank weight, ypu are talking about another 250-300 gallons of water.

22 hours ago, Red Horse said:

I think the reason they don't offer a Super or a Crew now is because  the frame has an added reinforcement under the cab.  I understand that reinforcement is the same thing they use on 550 regular cabs that are used for bucket trucks.

They really need a bigger frame.  But it would make a good mini pumper or brush truck.  At 22,000 GVW vs 19500 for a 550 assuming you used the same equipment that a 550 would normally have allowing for some added tank weight, ypu are talking about another 250-300 gallons of water.

Well today I noticed a long wheel base Ram  rthart had 10' box on it-van than it not dump-I think it was a 4500 or 5500.  And guess what -I noticed a frame reinforcement clip iunder the cab that extended back about two feet on frame-very similar to F-600

2 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Well today I noticed a long wheel base Ram  rthart had 10' box on it-van than it not dump-I think it was a 4500 or 5500.  And guess what -I noticed a frame reinforcement clip iunder the cab that extended back about two feet on frame-very similar to F-600

You will see that sort of reinforcement on most trucks with frames that dip down under the cabs, non straight rail.  The International/Chevy medium  duty doesn't need them, those trucks have a regular straight rail class 6 chassis.  The cabs on those trucks do sit higher, however.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

You will see that sort of reinforcement on most trucks with frames that dip down under the cabs, non straight rail.  The International/Chevy medium  duty doesn't need them, those trucks have a regular straight rail class 6 chassis.  The cabs on those trucks do sit higher, however.

Here in "salt country" I would prefer that.  And the International/GM's do not seem noticeably higher than a Ford or Mopar-but I'll start paying attention😎