2 valve head interchange/ engine ID

Dalton1

I'm looking to see if anyone has any info about what heads can interchange with the engine in my truck. Unfortunately the trucks VIN comes back to a glider kit and the engines data plate is missing so I'm not sure what engine I have, its a 2 valve with tip turbine and side mount cooler. Guessing a 285-315? Is there any way to know for sure? Truck is an '82 not sure on the engine, saw a 77 stamped on the side of the head.

Engine dropped a valve and I am in need of a replacement head but they are proving difficult to come buy. The part# on the damaged head is 732GB5218B. It does not have engine brakes. Will any E6 2 valve Mack head work or does the part number need to match exactly?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Dalton1 said:

I'm looking to see if anyone has any info about what heads can interchange with the engine in my truck. Unfortunately the trucks VIN comes back to a glider kit and the engines data plate is missing so I'm not sure what engine I have, its a 2 valve with tip turbine and side mount cooler. Guessing a 285-315? Is there any way to know for sure? Truck is an '82 not sure on the engine, saw a 77 stamped on the side of the head.

Engine dropped a valve and I am in need of a replacement head but they are proving difficult to come buy. The part# on the damaged head is 732GB5218B. It does not have engine brakes. Will any E6 2 valve Mack head work or does the part number need to match exactly?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.mddistributorsstore.com/torque-diesel/732gb5218b/reman-cylinder-head

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, Dalton1 said:

Thanks! Got a head on the way.

Still would like to know if any one has any ideas on how to ID the engine without a data plate??

The #'s that you want have been stamped  ahead of the fuel pump on the top flat deck of the timing case.

Tip Turbine first offered in 1972 or 1973.

For example this serial number translates to a ENDT675. Early 1970's mack dropped the ENDT and such. TB indicated a 675 with Dynatard. Find your number and we can i.d. it.  If you can not find it on the timing case the look at the rear behind the head area on the slim chance it was originally in a COE

1305447885_post-6773-0047395001288657276_thumb.jpg.158e6498f1654c69482069e3d25bf036.jpg

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, I am currently building an ENDT-673.. (1960..ish) I have disassembled 3 total engines to get the parts I need. The first was an END-673,,{no turbo}  The head bolt pattern is different, there is only 18 bolts per head. I was able to salvage a pair of 20 bolt head for the current engine block I am using. I had a machine shop take my 2 good 18 bolt heads and use the valves to help rebuild the 20 bolt heads. I am not very knowledgeable about e-6's like i am with e-7's and e-techs, but i learned this, which saved me from buying wrong parts and head gaskets. I hope i helped you in some way, Jojo

Hey Dalton, I was wondering what part of Maine youre in. I lived there for 25 years before I moved to N.C.  I graduated from Gray New Gloucster High school in '87..  I also worked at Maine Mack in Portland/ Westbrook from 2000-2006...Merry Christmas, Jojo