Need help. How to install 14" two disc clutch?

Vladislav

There's several variations of clutches. Basically a 14 inch goes in a flywheel with a (pot) like you have and a fifteen and a half inch goes on a (flat) flywheel .  there's also some different types of locking of the adjustment. Some with the two bolts holding it to the cover are spring loaded and lock in place after turning (like yours) others have the same thing except they're not spring loaded and have a strap that is hexed to go around the adjusting bolt to lock it. then some have an actual locking tab that bolts to the cover and goes between the lugs on the ring in the cover ( there's no picture of one of those here )  Your's ???  I'd be  really surprised if the ring in the cover will turn.  You'll push that adjuster in and it will turn.....but really not turn the ring inside the cover. Remember, this can only be turned if the clutch is disengaged. ( like if it was together, someone would have to hold the clutch in while you turned the adjustment)  In general, any 14 inch clutch will work.  differences are holding force and input shaft size ( inch and 3/4 or 2 inch )  You're gonna go nuts with the clutch you have. Try and find a better one that wasn't as worn out as the one in the pictures. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark T said:

There's several variations of clutches. Basically a 14 inch goes in a flywheel with a (pot) like you have and a fifteen and a half inch goes on a (flat) flywheel .  there's also some different types of locking of the adjustment. Some with the two bolts holding it to the cover are spring loaded and lock in place after turning (like yours) others have the same thing except they're not spring loaded and have a strap that is hexed to go around the adjusting bolt to lock it. then some have an actual locking tab that bolts to the cover and goes between the lugs on the ring in the cover ( there's no picture of one of those here )  Your's ???  I'd be  really surprised if the ring in the cover will turn.  You'll push that adjuster in and it will turn.....but really not turn the ring inside the cover. Remember, this can only be turned if the clutch is disengaged. ( like if it was together, someone would have to hold the clutch in while you turned the adjustment)  In general, any 14 inch clutch will work.  differences are holding force and input shaft size ( inch and 3/4 or 2 inch )  You're gonna go nuts with the clutch you have. Try and find a better one that wasn't as worn out as the one in the pictures. 

I'm with Mark, Get another Clutch....

You'll only have to do It once that way...

• Like 2

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Once again many thanks for the tips and suggestions. Actually I hate taking any assembly apart having no spares handy or at least supply facilities marketed on having the potentially needed ones in stock. In this particular case the truck is not in the main focus of my attention at the moment. I didn't plan to invest sufficient resources in it and hoped for an easy fix to get it running using an extra clutch set I took off an old E6 engine in the past. The pressure plate looked reusable by its look so I cleaned its working surface with sandpaper and wirebrushed the housing. Also I greased the bearing and hoped for no other issures. The presence and need of working with the set screw appeared as a surprize to me since I about never dealt with truck clutches before. Only car's ones and of pushing types. I googled 14 inch clutches locally and found out the stock offers were for only unknown brands the most probably China made stuff and cost of nearly US 1K what seemed of no sence. Their housings were stamped steel not cast iron as Eaton clutches are. I also found suitable clutch sets in PAI catalog, reasonably priced and seemed of the original style. I can order such one by a local PAI dealer but it usually takes 2-3 months to purchase. The shipping costs are cheap by this way but you have to pay by the waiting time. So all in all I'm still in the dilema. Seems like the way to go is removing the tranny and investigation. But currently I have the truck on its wheels and if I remove the gearbox I'd have its engine supported by a bottle jack and too probaly for a while. Doesn't look like a nice option being waiting first snow the other day by weather forecast.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012