Transfer Case Troubles

Engine1252

Last year we bought a 1955 B-85 open-cab pumper that had been stored uncovered for over 30 years in an old building. This engine has significant sentimental value for my family. When initially recovered it ran and drove. Our local heavy truck mechanic (also well-versed in fire equipment) has been working on it this year. Electrical issues and other problems were solved. He's been working on the transfer case for some time. It was full of water and bearings. He called tonight with the news that it is shot, and there are no parts. I am not a mechanic, but here is what he told me it would need:

Input/Output Seals,  Output shaft assembly, Driveshaft flange, or an entire Rear Output assembly. Otherwise, this rig is dead in the water.  The pump is a Hale QL-1. He sent me some pictures and I have attached them. 

I'm calling the antique fire truck version of a Mayday here. I appreciate any and all help. I can be reached via text at (717) 433-1551 or on this forum. 

Thanks in advance,

Glenn Dressler

20200717_190629(1) (1).jpg

20200724_194807.jpg

20200724_194810(1).jpg

Is there anything that can be remade at a reputable machine shop?  Flanges, shafts and such should be doable.  If there are no parts available, then I'm sure something could be fabricated.  Cast iron can be welded.  I would not throw in the towel yet.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

8 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Is there anything that can be remade at a reputable machine shop?  Flanges, shafts and such should be doable.  If there are no parts available, then I'm sure something could be fabricated.  Cast iron can be welded.  I would not throw in the towel yet.

Probably could but the machinist would need drawings for some of the assembly. And good luck with that. I just put the word out to some guys who would know where to look. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Well, I have worked at a machine shop for 34 years, making drawings of broken parts for replacement parts in the injection molding business.  I've made drawing from invisible parts many times.  Made a few hot rod parts for myself along the way.  Not that I can do anything and I've never seen what he actually needs, but I am just saying it is worth looking into if there really isn't any other avenue.

My buddy works at fab shop, I work at a machine shop.  We never see anything as "not doable".  Though many people don't have those resources.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 7/25/2020 at 12:51 PM, Engine1252 said:

Thank you, I'll give them a look!

I started a thread on my personal FB page for you. Got some leads already:

1. Give John Miller at Shop One in Pennsburg Pa. a call. Tell him that that Dan Supplee said to call about the old Mack sitting out back with the pump still in it. 

2. Give Sean Desjardins at Emergency Equipment Sales and Service in Ewing NJ a call. 877-337-8885. Tell him Randy sent you. He said he may very well have something NOS sitting around. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Thanks to all of you for the great info and leads. I will make phone calls today. The Facebook poster is actually my brother. I try and avoid social media because I would probably end up getting in trouble.😄

I will keep you all posted!

Glenn

• 1 month later...

Glenn

I am rebuilding my QL-1 (QL 75) pump and transfer case now on the 1954 Radnor B75 Mack (464 engine Hale 750 pump). I have the original Hale book and parts list and just purchased all of the bearings new (stock parts) the only part not available is the center bushing between the impellers, the front bushing is the most important and still available, 

I left you VM if you want to call and discuss. 

Firemack

IMG_7794[1].JPG

IMG_7693[1].JPG

IMG_7542[1].JPG

IMG_7698[1].JPG

• Like 1

A big thank you to all who have responded and helped us along the way with this project (especially Firemack!).  Much progress has been made. We had several parts re-machined and some made new via CNC. Reassembly is in the new future.

On another note, if anyone needs a shop for machining, welding, cutting, or CNC work I cannot say enough good things about Dave Amon of D&M Fabrication in Jerseytown, PA. (570) 594-6727.  Dave has a work ethic that has to be seen to believe, and a love for old things being made new. He took on our project and turned it out in three weeks and far exceeded our expectations!

Again, thank you all!  More to come...

Glenn

part 2.jpg

part1.jpg

part 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1