Big R Model

Check out new pics in my gallery. This :mack1: was sitting at LTV steel in Cleveland a few years back. It never goes on the road,just around the plant. Trailer says "CAP 220,000 lbs". I parked my Furd F450 Stupid Duty next to it to get an idea of the size. :o

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Did that truck happen to have the eight spoke 80K rears? Looks like it has 14.00R24 rubber.

I think they call those a RM some of the heavyest built R model macks popular in mines and logging fields V8 engines and heavy heavy rears!

Trent,

The RM was the all wheel drive set back axle R that was usually setup for snow plowing. The M supposedly stands for municipal. There a a bunch on truck paper including a 6x6 RM tractor. I also believe the steel hoods were standard.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Not all RM's were all wheel drive, but they were all set back axles. From the front you can tell the difference between the RD800 and others by the number of round bars in the grill. The RD800 had 6 and the RM, DM600, DM800, R600 and HMM only had 5.

• 2 weeks later...
Did that truck happen to have the eight spoke 80K rears? Looks like it has 14.00R24 rubber.

Trent,

The RM was the all wheel drive set back axle R that was usually setup for snow plowing. The M supposedly stands for municipal. There a a bunch on truck paper including a 6x6 RM tractor. I also believe the steel hoods were standard.

Hi Thad, a 4x4 or a 6x6 Mack is denoted in the model # after the engines type #, i.e. RM686 6 or 4 SX , so an RM686SX is only bogie drive, whereas an RM6866SX would be a 6x6. Regards Jeffro.