Mack MP7 vs E7 350?

Just bought another truck , 2014 small sleeper Mack with mp7 an M drive , still  have my 95 small sleeper with E7 350 and 4:17 rears , it is getting 6.7 to 6.8 pulling a flatbed mainly in Ohio . I'm hoping this new truck gets better mpg but bobtailing home empty the gauge seemed to move more than I expected. Is it reasonable to expect to outperform the 95 on fuel economy, or not? If this thing burns more fuel it will probably  be finding another home. The 95 has been a very economical truck to operate.

• 1 month later...

Keep that 95 you'll be glad you did. If any mpg gain at all, the added maintenance cost will offset the difference. On a 99 etech 460 with 4.42 were seeing 6.1-6.3 avg running PA/NJ doing the speed limit. Around 7.3 with the 93 avg 60k loads

There is no comparison.... your "Volvo" has B.S. controlling fuel going in... and exhaust. coming out... The E-7, may be slow.. but its deliberate.. Keep it running as long as you can.. Hell, if the exhaust system gives you a problem, you will be able to smell it, and see it... Without the High repair cost, and having to explain why you cant do a re-gen to a tech.... Anyway... I

m just having fun here... Go Bulldog!! Jojo

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I used to be dispatched out of Mehoopany, P.A. in '98... other than the smell of the P&G paper plant , it was beautiful country..  For what its worth,,, I will always be A Grey motor Guy.... Theres too much going on in the MP/Volvo D series.. Good luck with the MP.... They get expensive quickly..

• Like 1

Get rid of the M-Drive...!!!!!! Trust me!!! I was a mack Tech For years.... I'm really a mechanic.... The M-Drive is junk!!, Clutch issues, Speed Sensor issues, The slightest wiring issue will leave you stuck, and in some cases the truck will not turn over, so you may just freeze youre butt off this time of year when it decides to act like a woman...  WHY would we drive trucks that require software updates as often as our home computers...? These machines are meant to be DRIVEN... Good luck Sir.... Jojo.... P.S.   Keep the E-7!!

• Like 2