air dryer/purge valve help

1998 Ch 613   The purge valve was stuck open the other day and I lost air (compressor running).  I knew I had a filled up air dryer cartridge.  I change the cartridge twice a year as my system has always been "dirty".  

So I put the new cartridge on and it seemed to solve my problem for a few days.  But for those few days the purge seems gradual and long not that quick psss you normally get.

Now it seems to be sticking open again.  I lose air but not as fast as before.  Is the dryer/purge valve shot or do I need to start looking somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

The purge valve is a replaceable service item. Sometimes you can clean them but if you're not really handy it's better to either replace the bottom plate complete, or just the purge valve itself. Different dryers take different scenarios, but none are hard to service.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

What type/brand of air dryer do you have? Most common for that year was the Bendix AD9 dryer. The housing top has to be removed to replace the cartridge on the AD9. Really shouldn't have to service air dryer cartridges/filters for at least 150,00 miles. 

If you are having to change the filter/drier/cartridge often your compressor is suspect as this is not normal. I had three AD-9 series on trucks and serviced them every fall going into the winter months using only genuine "Bendix" remanufactured elements/kits. Never had any problems.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 3 weeks later...