Greetings From Jamaica

mumblymack76

Hi, am a new membwer of BMT. I grew up in Jamaica and In 1980 when I was 4 yrs old my Uncle bought a 1974 DM 600 2 stick tandem dump. I was extremely facinated by this truck, and from there on I was a MACK man. It was the first large tandem dump American truck around as most trucks at the time were mostly cab over British Leyland , Atkinson,Bedford and a few Volvos etc. Other people were also facinated and people would stop when the big Mack came by. Jamaica is very mountainous and the Mack was unbeatable for many years. It could climb hills and go places where other trucks could not go. Even when other American trucks such as Internationals, Fords, KW, etc started to get popular in the eighties and ninties , my Uncle's Mack was still the only Mack around and the newer American trucks could still not match it even though they had more powerfull engines. It still works everyday but the cab is needs replacing .The amazing thing is that it still has the original engine,transmision and rears. It has been overhauled but it still keeps going. It is probably the oldest working truck around . Other makes of trucks that are in the area have been through more than one drivetrain components if they last 10 or more years but not this Mack. Mechanics who work on all types of trucks there have told me that there is no truck built like a Mack. They are more Macks running around Jamaica now but since they seem to be more expensive , they are not as popular as the other American makes. The DM600 is my favorite Mack, and I hope to have one one day to go to shows. I build and collect model Macks. My bigest concern for Mack is that it does not lose it's identity and reputation for quality under Volvo. I know the Macks are not the same under Volvo but hope they will not lose too much Mackness.

Hi, am a new membwer of BMT. I grew up in Jamaica and In 1980 when I was 4 yrs old my Uncle bought a 1974 DM 600 2 stick tandem dump. I was extremely facinated by this truck, and from there on I was a MACK man. It was the first large tandem dump American truck around as most trucks at the time were mostly cab over British Leyland , Atkinson,Bedford and a few Volvos etc. Other people were also facinated and people would stop when the big Mack came by. Jamaica is very mountainous and the Mack was unbeatable for many years. It could climb hills and go places where other trucks could not go. Even when other American trucks such as Internationals, Fords, KW, etc started to get popular in the eighties and ninties , my Uncle's Mack was still the only Mack around and the newer American trucks could still not match it even though they had more powerfull engines. It still works everyday but the cab is needs replacing .The amazing thing is that it still has the original engine,transmision and rears. It has been overhauled but it still keeps going. It is probably the oldest working truck around . Other makes of trucks that are in the area have been through more than one drivetrain components if they last 10 or more years but not this Mack. Mechanics who work on all types of trucks there have told me that there is no truck built like a Mack. They are more Macks running around Jamaica now but since they seem to be more expensive , they are not as popular as the other American makes. The DM600 is my favorite Mack, and I hope to have one one day to go to shows. I build and collect model Macks. My bigest concern for Mack is that it does not lose it's identity and reputation for quality under Volvo. I know the Macks are not the same under Volvo but hope they will not lose too much Mackness.

Welcome!

Sounds like you'll fit right in around here.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Welcome, dmmack76! Great stories you tell about growing up in Jamaica. And you also win the prize for word of the year- "MACKNESS" That one word pretty much sums up the attitude around here! :mack1:

• 6 months later...

Hey dmmack76-just a thought- think we can send this around the world? I've already sent it to Australia and France...thank you for any help.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?showtopic=9409

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.