Injector cup major malfunction

steeler

I'm.pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I've got D12 with copper cups, the extractor bit broke off on the cup. Has anybody successfully removed a copper cup with the conical cup puller? That's the only way I can see myself having any chance of getting it out without pulling the head.

This sucks! Pulled 3 of them with no problem, other than they were extra tight it seemed. I don't know why but the bit just snapped off!

You can try the conical puller but it will probably break the cup off around the nozzle tip area. We have had the  stainless cup tips break off in the head several times. We revert back to the old tap/threading tools of the copper cup days. On a couple of extreme cases we drove the tip through in to the cylinder area and pulled the exhaust manifold and dropped one of the exhaust valves down and blew air into injector hole and blew the piece out the exhaust . It worked the 2 times we tried 

• Like 1

Yes it did break the tip of the cup, I figured that would happen. I would feel a little better if I could come up with a way to get the piece of broken tool out of that tip, but it isn't looking good. Im not sure I would have much luck blowing that piece out thru an exhaust port since it's a pretty heavy chunk. Damnit!!

Worth a try in my mind Your headed in the direction of removing the head anyway! pull the manifold and set the engine with the exhaust  valves open and give it a shot in my mind its worth a Go! You got NOTHIN to loose 

Just sayin

I've done that trick with broken spark plugs several times through the years to extract the broken pieces. Find a way to compress that valve spring opening the exhaust valve completely and providing a larger, (if possible) opening than the broken piece. Aiming/placing a high flow blow gun into the opening, (injector sleeve in this case) will usually send the broken piece sailing out the exhaust port but may take several iterations to get it out.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for the tips guys but I got it out! Luckily the customer wasn't in a hurry so I waited for my snap on guy to see what he had for stud removers. He had a Blue Point set that incremented in .25 millimeters, and they are very thin walled. I was able to get one in there and remove the tool bit, then removed the broken cup nipple the normal way, luckily without it falling into the cylinder.

Huge victory! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1