2001 e7 427 not making boost pressure

Playinghooky13

I'm having some issues here and hopefully someone here could help me out. 

Ok this may be lengthy but here it goes.

We have an 01 mack dump truck with the e7 427 that spun a main so the owner decided to buy a used salvage yard engine which is a 2003 e7 427 we removed all of its exterior components and replaced them with the old ones. The "new" engine had Jake's the old didn't so we removed them. The engine cranks and idles great runs good on flat ground but loaded it's a dog. It will fall on its face on a hill loaded or unloaded also. We changed injectors with the old ones no change. Changed cac. Boots checked all piping and manifolds for leaks nothing. Old motor ran much better. This engine looked good no cam pitting or cylinder wear etc holds 60 psi oil pressure no blow by to speak of. The engine does not smoke abnormally just a little black under load but not much. All filters have been replaced etc. I'm not sure of the next direction. The engine shows to make at the most 12 to 14 psi of boost with the pedal on the floor. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance 

Turbo impellers and bearing ok? Anything restricting the exhaust out of the turbo? Leaking between intake manifold and head?

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Would have been good to throw this situation into the mix before purchase. You accidentally bought an engine which is CCRS. Good news is it’s a better engine than your 2001( pre-ASET ‘02-‘03 is arguably the best E-Tech ever made), bad news is what your doing won’t work. CCRS makes multiple injections per power stroke, the 2001 doesn’t unless by some rare coincidence you got one of only a few CCRS that hit the production line in 2001.

Does the old engine have an injector leak off line? IOW- look between the valve covers and see if a small “U”-shaped fuel line connects both heads. Then look at the front head of the ‘01 scrap engine and see if there is a little nipple for a line, just in front of the valve cover.

Your new 2003 engine has spring loaded push tubes, does your old?

Edited by Mack Technician

before you get too deep into thought check the speed sensor the company I work for had a engine do almost the exact same thing. new turbo injectors after cooler still did the same thing. changed the speed sensor on a tip from another mechanic and it went from 12/15 psi boost to 32/35 psi and will keep pulling like a mad dog. I hope this helps your problem and will save you a few headaches. joe

10 hours ago, Playinghooky13 said:

I found some answers to my questions on the forum I guess I should have looked before posting questions. But can I make this work by changing heads and cam or just heads? Sorry to bother 

Your cam isn’t right either. The 6 injector pump lobes on the CCRS cam from ‘03 will not work with your old style pumps.....and you need your old style pumps to match your old style injectors...which need the old style heads. See the issue?

P.S.- I went through Mack’s engineering breakdown on CCRS base engine changes vs original E-Tech like your ‘01. It’s in the AI thread, page 5 (2nd comment) in reference to “ASET”. Google search “AI460 low power low torque” and it’ll take you there. 

Realize that it’s a buyer beware world, but the salvage yard should be given an ear full for doing that. Unless it’s a rinky-dink Mom and Pop establishment, or you failed to ask about its interchangeability, they’re responsible to know interchange. 

Good Luck 🍀 man!