Thinking about entering the Mack world...

garden wolf

Hey everyone, I've been considering buying a 1956 B-42 that's posted for sale here on the forums and have enjoyed browsing through the different topics and reading all the good advice/stories/knowledge that's packed into this website. If I buy the truck you can bet I will be on here regularly. Seems like a cool community and I have a lot to learn. 

If you are worried about your wife and what she is going to say, stay away. My wife was never ridden in any of my Mack's or went to any type of truck show. She thinks it is cool and does talk positive about the trucks but that is it, because I like it. Same with guns, hotrods, bar and cigar buddies, got them to. She does like to ride the Harley from time to time. So don't expect to much from any woman relating to any big truck. I think Mack's are Great and most of the Guy's are older that can relate to them because they drove them for a living. The Guy's that I show them to 55 and under, not in the hobby, all say "heard of a two stick Mack but never seem one". Then I show them the 3 stick LTL. Do it for yourself and enjoy the hobby. It is still an old truck that is hot, hard to drive, hard ridding, rued, crud and getting harder to get parts for.

Getting back to the wife, she is going to say "I told you so", so if that is what you are afraid of think twice. Do it for you and don't worry, they are cool old trucks.:MackLogo:

• Like 2

I guess my biggest question is: does the required maintenance make it a foolish choice for a daily worker?

If I can celebrate the history, character and wow-factor of operating an old truck like this AND make money putting it to work for landscape installs then I am all in. If it can't be used practically as a daily worker then my hand will be forced. I'll need to buy something newer that requires less downtime. Both my wife and I are unsure about the possibility... she is just more risk averse. 

Thanks for the input from y'all so far. 

I did the same thing 25 years ago with my first B to pull my Cat track loader. Who has a track loader these days, 4n1 bucket, pin on rear hoe, no ROPS? But the point is in the beginning it has cool. It was hot in the cab in the summer and cold in the winter, and all I said before. If you are the only one driving it, it could work, these days forget about an employee driving it, don't forget most B's don't have power steering, A/C, stereo, air ride seat or suspension or automatic trans. You maybe accused of employee abuse if you make one drive it. Mack's do have the COOL factor but at the end of the day after working all day the modern stuff will be more appealing and you maybe able to throw the keys to someone to drive it without a hassle. Like them a lot but how drives a 1960's Chevy or Ford pick-up these days, except to car shows?

Edited by AZB755V8

Once you get the truck I think you will be glad you did. I wanted one for years and kept putting it off. Looking back wish I had done it sooner. I have a B 61 tractor with no practical use for. It is fun to just drive around in. I have taken it to a few car shows and it draws more attention than a lot of cars and pickups costing a lot more. Young boys come by just love to climb in and play with gear shifts and steering wheel. I think the truck you  are looking at will be more trouble free than something used but newer.