International shows new options at World of Concrete 2020

kscarbel2

Lots of people don't like these Workstar/HV's, but my friend  has a couple and he got me to drive one back to town for him one time. A dump truck with 20 and 46 axles on rubber block. It rode really nice and was comfortable. His are Cummins powered.

They got a really bad rep because of the original Maxxforce engines. And underhood space is bad. I'll say it again though, the new HX is the smoothest, quietest new truck I have ever driven. And I've tried all the north American trucks.

I also liked the Haulmaax rear suspension. I had that in my 05 Paystar. Lots of articulation and traction and a good ride. (Though Chalmers was still a bit better.)

Only problems I had with it were these bolts kept coming loose. Once I replaced them with good frame bolts, never touched them again.

Haulmaax-46k_001_Trans_021214.png

• Like 1

Thanks KS. Not sure how educated I am, LOL, but I've just been lucky enough to drive a lot of new trucks of all brands on and off the highway over the last 35 years.

I've gone back to dump trucking and have been running air ride suspension the last several years. But I miss this Haulmaax and Chalmers rubber block. 

Air ride has the edge when it comes to traction in sand, and it doesn't "washboard" the haul roads and hills like spring and rubber trucks, but when you have very uneven ground you can't beat walking beams or Camelback or M-Ride.

There's times where I have to lock the rear ends up and play with the air dump valve to gain traction with the air, and the Haulmaax would be able to walk right through it.

I also see more irregular tire wear with air ride in my application.

But here in Ontario we have this regulation called SPIF. It requires a self equalizing, steering lift axle. And in order to equalize the weigh distribution with rubber block or springs it uses load cells just like a weight scale to measure deflection. And they just aren't proving reliable. Air pressure seems to work a lot better. So I stick to air ride.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

I also see more irregular tire wear with air ride in my application.

You will have a hard time believing this, but I found that any time I put new drive tires on, I replace shock absorbers. And that ended the cupping and chopping on the drives. Who'd think straight trucks that gross over 90,000 lbs having shocks would matter. 

• Like 1

Could be, but my last couple trucks were brand new. I just found I got more uneven wear than I ever did with the rubber block trucks. It's a lot easier to get wheel spin with air ride which don't help. i'm running 46,000 FL Airliner. 

Sometimes I'm my own worse enemy too. I tend to have a heavy foot. And that causes a lot of heel and toe wear.