Mack speed sensor

Can anyone tell me how the 2 wire sensors should be wired?  One is a signal wire I assume should the other one be grounded or powered?

I had to change the trans in my superliner before Thanksgiving and the used trans i found has a speed sensor would like to get my speedometer working again.  Have an autometer electronic guage installed already

Just a guess as I really know nothing about these but "usually" there are two wires; one will have a tracer on it which is usually white and this is the signal wire to input into the "IN" jack on an electronic instrument. The other wire should be a single color and can be grounded to either the chassis, or to the transmission housing itself. I would at a minimum ground to the sheet metal of the cab and housing both, to ensure it is grounded and stays that way.

No power applied in this application as it goes directly to the instrument.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, IH Farms 2 said:

Ok I'll try that. The signal generator I had on the cable drive was a 3 wire so it had power, ground and signal

Most aftermarket instruments have the power supply built in. You are basically shifting the ground and triggering the instrument on the decay edge of the generated pulse train. On the rear of the instrument there should be a selection of dip switches, (dual inline package) which are off/on selection. You will need to fine tune these switch selections which are binary weighted in delay to make your traveled distance display one statute mile for a statute mile you drive. The mile markers alongside the interstates are real good with this unless you happen to have a pulse generator, or pulse counter readily available as then calibration can be performed on a bench. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Also there are speedometer apps for your phone that are extremely accurate to clock both speed and distance via GPS

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

20 hours ago, Rob said:

Most aftermarket instruments have the power supply built in. You are basically shifting the ground and triggering the instrument on the decay edge of the generated pulse train. On the rear of the instrument there should be a selection of dip switches, (dual inline package) which are off/on selection. You will need to fine tune these switch selections which are binary weighted in delay to make your traveled distance display one statute mile for a statute mile you drive. The mile markers alongside the interstates are real good with this unless you happen to have a pulse generator, or pulse counter readily available as then calibration can be performed on a bench. 

This one is pretty easy to calibrate hold the trip reset turn key on guage goes into calibration mode.  Use a predetermined 2miles press the reset again drive the 2 miles then hit it again at the end 

5 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Also there are speedometer apps for your phone that are extremely accurate to clock both speed and distance via GPS

I have a gps but seeing as the cop that did a level 1 inspection on me asked if it worked last year thinking it should work.  Plus I like tracking miles for mpg and miles in different states ect since I have apportioned plates on it

3 hours ago, IH Farms 2 said:

I have a gps but seeing as the cop that did a level 1 inspection on me asked if it worked last year thinking it should work.  Plus I like tracking miles for mpg and miles in different states ect since I have apportioned plates on it

You can use the gps or speedo phone app to set the dip switches on your new speedo. But I see with your set up all you need is an accurate mileage reference.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

17 hours ago, 41chevy said:

You can use the gps or speedo phone app to set the dip switches on your new speedo. But I see with your set up all you need is an accurate mileage reference.

Yep I just need to get the sender to produce a signal with the proper wires connected 

Just now, IH Farms 2 said:

Yep I just need to get the sender to produce a signal with the proper wires connected 

I got a generic one from "Summit Racing" for a participant here several years ago. You don't need to go extravagant in this application but do get an encapsulated type rather than open to preclude corrosion. Do solder and shrink tube your wiring connections for the same purpose.

On 12/29/2019 at 2:58 PM, IH Farms 2 said:

Can anyone tell me how the 2 wire sensors should be wired?  One is a signal wire I assume should the other one be grounded or powered?

I had to change the trans in my superliner before Thanksgiving and the used trans i found has a speed sensor would like to get my speedometer working again.  Have an autometer electronic guage installed already

What year is your truck

If its a 2 wire VRS sensor, polarity does not matter. It will generate an AC voltage and your autometer should be able to display the MPH. I would assume it would need to be calibrated some how, but i could be wrong i've never used aftermarket speedometer. 

4 hours ago, ivanuke said:

If its a 2 wire VRS sensor, polarity does not matter. It will generate an AC voltage and your autometer should be able to display the MPH. I would assume it would need to be calibrated some how, but i could be wrong i've never used aftermarket speedometer. 

I'm gonna play with the wires tomorrow see what happens

• Like 1