Mack 865 engine

fuzzy buzzard

Brian Blaylock checked in this afternoon - part number for adjuster is 417GC113P1 and my 864 parts book shows same alike number. Best I can determine it is different that 673 adjuster.

Now , who has a trashed 864 or 865 under the bed that would be willing to part with an adjuster???? If you got one, please PM me.

Thanks and over & out from Ignorant Ridge

Tom 

If no one here has one, I had good luck using one of the Facebook Mack pages as a place to find a NLA Jake lash cap for my early 237.  One post and a few hours later I had a fellow reply and donated one to me.  Couple days later it showed up in the mailbox.  Just say'n there is hope sometimes.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Tom, I have one from a parts engine but I'd like to be a "last ditch" effort as they are on heads I've had rebuilt and ready to bolt on a fresh engine. If other avenues fail, I'll jump in.

V8 parts are getting scarce as you know, but I still favor them. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have a set of donated 865 heads from a blown engine, "someplace" but cannot remember where. I'll be home tomorrow night, but know I have pushrods available and where they are. PM me an address and I'll get a rod in the mail Tuesday if needed.  

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for all the replys - Mack warehouse in Mississippi had several adjusters (if computer system is right). Mack dealer in PA has the push rod. Now if my friend can train Columbus Truck to act like a Mack dealer and get the parts in!

thanks again for all the help and offers

TG

Thanks for the update. I was hoping you would come out alright. I did find my parts. Out in the back yard in the corn crib....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Tom. I did find that parts engine if you guys run into needing something else. It's a 1970 model so had the Luberfiner on it.

50 minutes ago, fuzzy buzzard said:

865 update - running like a Swiss watch - thanks to all the info and help on BMT! Thanks to all.

Mayor of Ignorant Ridge said that.

They do sound good and idle smooth, had mine running a few times this week pulling in and out of the building. The building interior finally got painted after 6 years of thinking about it, boy what a difference from bare block walls.

That engine should start with just a tap on the starter if all is right even when it gets cold. Just let it warm up before taking off with it. More than a few of them through rods when rev'd with a load cool. Had a few parts engines due to broke cranks and holes in blocks. Brother took them to scrap when prices were up years ago, so no parts really left.

Rob, I had to use the Luberfinder set-up when the 866 was installed in my B-755. The engine would not fit with the newer spin on's hitting the steering column.

36 minutes ago, AZB755V8 said:

They do sound good and idle smooth, had mine running a few times this week pulling in and out of the building. The building interior finally got painted after 6 years of thinking about it, boy what a difference from bare block walls.

That engine should start with just a tap on the starter if all is right even when it gets cold. Just let it warm up before taking off with it. More than a few of them through rods when rev'd with a load cool. Had a few parts engines due to broke cranks and holes in blocks. Brother took them to scrap when prices were up years ago, so no parts really left.

Rob, I had to use the Luberfinder set-up when the 866 was installed in my B-755. The engine would not fit with the newer spin on's hitting the steering column.

I've never seen a B-755 but I'll bet it is snug in there. I've seen a B-615 and it certainly was.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I've never seen a B-755 but I'll bet it is snug in there. I've seen a B-615 and it certainly was.

No big dog house like the B-615. Really not that cramped with the longer hood. Have to take off the removable upper fender to service it but not bad. Same dimensions as the 864 it replaced. I did not have a spare E9 when the B-755 was restored but had I, it would be in there now. Without an intercooler like the real early EM 1005's, 360 hp. The Quad box would have had to go if that happened but the 866 is just fine to putt around with plus not many left to even see or hear running. It really moves with the double over Quad and 4.17 rears on big rubber.

30 minutes ago, AZB755V8 said:

No big dog house like the B-615. Really not that cramped with the longer hood. Have to take off the removable upper fender to service it but not bad. Same dimensions as the 864 it replaced. I did not have a spare E9 when the B-755 was restored but had I, it would be in there now. Without an intercooler like the real early EM 1005's, 360 hp. The Quad box would have had to go if that happened but the 866 is just fine to putt around with plus not many left to even see or hear running. It really moves with the double over Quad and 4.17 rears on big rubber.

Did you relocate the turbocharger from the back?

I have that double over triplex in my B-61 on tall rubber w/3.70 gears. Haven't driven it yet but thinking it will scoot. Love the sound of them V8's. Both my 866's and 865 have their own distinct sound, but like to slobber if not run.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:38 PM, Rob said:

Did you relocate the turbocharger from the back?

I have that double over triplex in my B-61 on tall rubber w/3.70 gears. Haven't driven it yet but thinking it will scoot. Love the sound of them V8's. Both my 866's and 865 have their own distinct sound, but like to slobber if not run.

No relocation required, fit just like it would have from the factory.

1110607650_866Turbo.thumb.JPG.eb68cc5adbae5b0569d6cba3e83aa0bd.JPG

Yes they have a good sound, similar to an E9 but not as weasy. The turbo doesn't whine as muck like on the E9. The 866 is about 16-18psi with stock turbo and my E9 will peg the gage at 60psi with a BW S500, just a little difference. 

Yes, the B-61 will move with 3.70's. You will not get it in double-over before 65mph@1400rpm's. This old V8's do not like to be lugged down.

I don't have the slobber that I have seen with other Mack V-8's, some were pretty bad. I did have the pump and injectors gone over every few years though. 

There is a lot more room in there than the B615 I'd seen. Looks like it belongs there. I've not pulled a load with any of my V8 trucks except the water wagon and it's been local short distance. Other's have only ran empty and the "slobber" is most likely from not getting them hot in the exhaust in years. Lot's of idling around my place and the stack on the water wagon is just streaked from the slobber running down. If I rev the engine, it paints the roof and hood too so needs gotten out and run good.

Getting far too difficult to source parts so not going to do any modification to the engines. I have two complete upper and lower gasket sets and those had to come from Mack as obsolete everywhere else.

I'm going to send in two 8VBB pumps to a shop in Ft. Smith as per Glenn's suggestion but haven't done it yet. No fuel shops in this area have the adapters to spin these any longer.

You have your parts polished or "Jet Hot" coated? They certainly look good. My 74 866B is gold, (although not a Maxidyne engine) and rust along with some corrosion...... the 73 866B, (water wagon) and 77, (Project R-12) are both gray. The 77 is an 865B series but rebuilt. It has the short nosed later 8VBB pump and sure runs like a scalded dog. 

I like your foldover aluminum tag stock for the hose gathers rather than the customary plastic "zip ties" seen everywhere these days. I also see you stayed with the SAE 100R5 style hoses for the fuel and coolant lines which are the braided ones. Lots of attention to detail is evident in that build. Mine are all original from the 1970's and falling apart although not leaking, (yet). Wire sleeving just crumbles when you touch it. I'm so cheap however I'll probably retain the copper air compressor discharge piping to the wet tank rather than go the teflon and stainless as your build did.

Got to get these engine warned up and run for 50 miles or so to get all that crud burnt out of the manifolds plus does the whole truck some good to be run.

It is difficult to find a pump shop that can run the old V pumps or the guys that know who to set them. stock or otherwise.

I am a polish guy, no Jet hot coating except the exhaust manifolds. The turbo tube is chromed. Had to go though several of every part to polished. Corrosion is a huge issue when trying to polish parts. 

Those foldover aluminum hose gathers are real Mack OEM the way they came from the factory. I did not do DOT new copper for the cost and for safety. I wanted to drive this truck so it is stainless supply hose and plastic DOT air lines covered with the original canvas/tar material. No one ever noticed the plastic in how well it was done. 

I do have that same SAE cloth covered hoses for oil & power streering lines also. It is pricey but what it take to be historically accurate.

If you really look the injector lines are not on top of each other and now beside each other. I make a new complete set when the engine was rebuilt, they were just not available. The engine was silver and I painted it the old Thermodyne color to match the 864 Thermodyne. An 866, 375hp is actually the biggest Thermodyne Mack engine.

Your efforts certainly stand out to folks whom know what they are looking at. I did notice your injector lines layout but thought they were a running I'd not seen in the past. Mine are all stacked as you mention and original routings. I actually had a couple twist off from rust on the 74 truck, but have another set from a donor engine to replace them. Given they are krusty, I may make up new ones if I can find a shop with the correct ends.

image.jpeg.48e446afcafd678cc97c8d2b16b4d706.jpeg

The canvas and tar sleeving is on all wiring and air lines in the 74 truck and just falling apart. It was used where split loom plastic is these days. The product is still available but getting up there and I will most likely replace it also. Only have to do it once so not the cost issue with me as I want it to look nice and retain a pretty close to original look. I don't remember any plastic lines under that hood or engine and do think the original copper is still in place. I'll probably reuse it if I can, but the truck won't be worked.

The 74 truck never had power steering and at some point had "Air-O-Matic" installed which was worn out when I purchased it. I purchased, (via Trent) a power steering gear and pitman arm along with a drag link, then a VTM42 series hydraulic pump and reservoir from another party to install hydraulic power steering, but haven't got that far yet. I have purchased the R5 hydraulic hose and have hose ends for the steering also. After welding up a stand for the engine, it sets in the back of the shop with others awaiting further work. Going to change the cab in the spring and started cleaning up the chassis last fall after pulling the engine in 2018:

image.jpeg.5812f3146f84ed87b74f627e5f4e9b88.jpeg

image.jpeg.55ab938ebae82e8731ad2641c3f10d2a.jpeg

image.jpeg.dfeecc5ee28378d9dbbc5e554496a113.jpeg

image.jpeg.ddc94836d66e53b4382659b932b7d5df.jpeg

To my surprise a lot of the aluminum parts on the water truck were originally chromed. The "X" bracing running from the cowl to the radiator was chrome as were a couple of brackets and the turbocharger pipe was polished. Not in the best condition now, but it probably showed well in it's day. I'll probably follow suit when I get to it but that truck runs and is occasionally used so being kept back and not messed with, (yet). I've actually got to drag that one into the shop as one of the oil cooler sealing rings to the block let go and it's spraying engine oil which is a new problem. No gaskets in there but just a silicone ring.

Never a dull moment around here it seems. Just wish working on my own stuff would pay for itself somehow.....

Edited by Rob