2007 Mack EA470 rebuild question

TommyTipper

Hi guys, currently rebuilding my Mack 470 and wondering if anyone knows which way the fire rings go when pressing around the liner on the block? It's a PAI kit and doesn't state which way they go as 1 side is concaved and the other is flat. I'm assuming it's flat side down but would like to know 100%.

Thanks 

Tom

5 hours ago, TommyTipper said:

Do you mean with the concave facing down?

honestly I don't think it matters however, yes the convex up facing the head ! the sharp side facing the liner that way the ring stays put better! AND just a word to the wise  you should have measured your liner height (protrusion )! correct ?   You needed to be trying to achieve  at least 24 thou  Bottom spec for best results on a 400 plus HP engine !the book low  spec is TOO  low for anything over 400!

Edited by fjh

44 minutes ago, fjh said:

honestly I don't think it matters however, yes the convex up facing the head ! the sharp side facing the liner that way the ring stays put better! AND just a word to the wise  you should have measured your liner height (protrusion )! correct ?   You needed to be trying to achieve  at least 24 thou  Bottom spec for best results on a 400 plus HP engine !the book low  spec is TOO  low for anything over 400!

Low spec or top spec?

We tried hard to hit the top spec/max protrusion to get the extra sleeve crush and fire sealing in high HP range. Above 400HP you tend to have a hopping head. 

10 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Low spec or top spec?

We tried hard to hit the top spec/max protrusion to get the extra sleeve crush and fire sealing in high HP range. Above 400HP you tend to have a hopping head. 

As I mentioned shooting for 24 is best ! top spec is 28 I believe  we have run them at the top end as well however never experienced head hop or shuffle.we also use hi tack on both sides of the gasket with no issues!

Edited by fjh

11 hours ago, fjh said:

Yea that's a what I figured. Jus really wanted to make sure it was right as it seems every truck has a different set up.

Thanks for that